Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Re: car audible bulb failure warning

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
You don't get points for bulb failure....a £30 fixed penalty.
Tbh I have never known anybody that has been given anything other than a friendly "Your rear light is out" type of reaction.
Especially when a disgruntled copper accidentally hits the light cover with his stick!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 02:19 PM

The best way of checking all lights is by looking at the car's reflection in shop windows. Obviously though, they have to fail at some point. Perhaps the answer is a dash warning light combined with a secondary bulb that lights when the first has failed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The best way of checking all lights is by looking at the car's reflection in shop windows. Obviously though, they have to fail at some point. Perhaps the answer is a dash warning light combined with a secondary bulb that lights when the first has failed.

I'll give that a try next time I'm in town. I'll begin a three point turn on the high street next to a convenient shop front (or maybe a bank!), then back up towards the plate glass window, to see whether my brake lights are working.

That should give the occupants a bit of a fright!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 03:09 PM

Then, of course, not everyone wants/can afford a new car so it's a mute point.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
What if it blows whilst driving...would you stop your journey or carry on?

Cars are becoming boring....no fun to drive...too many bloody warning lights etc.

I'd much prefer an audible voice recording...a bit like "Warning, vehicle reversing" but "Danger, t**t at the wheel"
I had an Austin Maestro that talked to me, kept telling me it was on fire, I almost did set the bloody thing alight. It did not last long, swapped it for a Fiesta.
Incidentally it is easy to check the lights on my Mondeo, they all flash when I take the alarm off and unlock it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I had an Austin Maestro that talked to me, kept telling me it was on fire, I almost did set the bloody thing alight. It did not last long, swapped it for a Fiesta.
Incidentally it is easy to check the lights on my Mondeo, they all flash when I take the alarm off and unlock it.
I had a Maestro....so that's the two of us on the same forum, who'd have thought it?
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi, My 'Rover 75' (13 years old) has that system as standard. If an indicator bulb fails, a message appears on the dash and it tells me which corner is affected... If a rear side-light fails, I also get a message and the failed bulb is automatically substituted by the brake-light, with a reduced power to compensate for the brightness of the brake light.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I'll give that a try next time I'm in town. I'll begin a three point turn on the high street next to a convenient shop front (or maybe a bank!), then back up towards the plate glass window, to see whether my brake lights are working.

That should give the occupants a bit of a fright!

I think a bank would be best.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top