Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 07:54 AM

Re: Should we forgive

Or, reinforcement reasoning.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
That is possible in the long term, the negative emotions though will start from the time of the transgression, in the longer term whatever happened may have positive outcome as you write and good if it does. In the meantime harbouring the original emotions though will not do a person any good at all, in fact bitterness, anger and hate it is reckoned are very damaging both emotionally and mentally.

I used to think like that after being brought up that if someone 'crossed you' then that was it. You had nothing to do with that person, you didn't speak to them or anything. My maternal grandmother used to speak of someone like that as if she had cast a wicked spell on them! That's fine as it does put them out of your life but if they have done something that has hurt you emotionally then that hurt does not necessarily disappear just because you have taken that course of action, it can remain and cause serious problems. Should that happen you then have far more deep-rooted and harmful problems to deal with which can be even more difficult than forgiveness.
If someone has done you a serious wrong it does far more to your emotions and mental well being than 'not forgiving ' them does .
They have done you wrong and being pressured to forgive them because it's good for your emotional well being or it the socially acceptable thing to do is nonsense .
Forgiveness has to come freely from the person who has been wronged not because there is the erroneous belief that somehow it's good for you .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 07:59 AM

Too true, everybody can do without people like that. However, putting them out of your life does not, in my opinion, rid yourself of the negative emotions you may experience as a result of whatever it was they did, they can remain. Much of this is I believe dependent on the mindset of the person who has been offended, even the hardest of people have emotions though and it's those that can cause a person considerable problems. Admittedly there are those who just sail through life causing others lots of untold problems but nobody knows what goes on inside their minds or how that may later affect their own emotional state. We all have to live with our consciences be they good, not so good or completely bad.
But if you put them out of your life at least they can't do any more emotional damage than they may have already done. Sometimes we have to protect ourselves and not be s doormat open to more hurt. If they will do it once they may do it again. I.d rather not give them the opportunity Baz
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
If someone has done you a serious wrong it does far more to your emotions and mental well being than 'not forgiving ' them does .
They have done you wrong and being pressured to forgive them because it's good for your emotional well being or it the socially acceptable thing to do is nonsense .
Forgiveness has to come freely from the person who has been wronged not because there is the erroneous belief that somehow it's good for you .
Yes, the harm is or can be done at that time. What happens though to the damaged emotions though? They remain and can, if you are that type of person, slowly dissipate or if you happen to be another type of person cause you to be unable to deal with those emotions in no other way than to be angry and bitter. That over a period of time is an increase in the original emotion of hurt so causes continuing problems.

That can be like being stuck in a situation you cannot get out of due to how our emotions work. Once that is realised and sometimes it never is with some people, but there are ways of coming to the realisation that to get rid of those emotions it's necessary to find something to do that, which is where forgiveness comes in. It breaks that link between emotions allowing a person to move forward with their life. Nothing necessarily to do with religion (I am not religious) but more to do with the mind, understanding what may have happened and doing what is best for the person concerned, nothing at all to do with anyone else or outside pressures.

It's a very difficult and complex subject to discuss and explain, also of course everyone is different so the meanings of all this will be different according to the individual's beliefs and understandings.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
But if you put them out of your life at least they can't do any more emotional damage than they may have already done. Sometimes we have to protect ourselves and not be s doormat open to more hurt. If they will do it once they may do it again. I.d rather not give them the opportunity Baz
I agree, although the problem can be that the original emotional damage is done and sometimes that remains and continues to be damaging – bitterness and anger perhaps, both the resulting emotions of being hurt. We can protect ourselves and not be a doormat so not open to further hurt, that is I believe the easy part. However, those original damaged emotions have to be 'healed' in some way and if it's not possible for us to deal with that we can become stuck in that situation so a way out of that needs to be found. Understanding what happens to us with anything emotionally damaging is key to that and forgiveness, I now believe, is all part of that process.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 09:03 AM

To give an extreme example if someone hurts your child no amount of forgiveness will heal your damaged emotions grief sorrow anger cannot be waved away by the magic word forgiveness .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 09:08 AM

I agree, although the problem can be that the original emotional damage is done and sometimes that remains and continues to be damaging – bitterness and anger perhaps, both the resulting emotions of being hurt. We can protect ourselves and not be a doormat so not open to further hurt, that is I believe the easy part. However, those original damaged emotions have to be 'healed' in some way and if it's not possible for us to deal with that we can become stuck in that situation so a way out of that needs to be found. Understanding what happens to us with anything emotionally damaging is key to that and forgiveness, I now believe, is all part of that process.
Ok Baz thanks for this. I m not quite sure if you are trying to say I should allow the person back into my life who caused me a huge amount of distress. However, I never will, my life if much more peaceful and I m not prepared to let that person damage my health anymore, if I don't see them or hear from them anymore I can't be given any rubbish. X
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

30-07-2019, 09:18 AM

Of course you should not LQ until you want to and that might be never !
It not for the wronged person to feel they must forgive to be healed .
Nor does it mean that to withhold forgiveness makes people bitter and twisted .
FGS!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 09:19 AM

A person has to apologise, try to make amends, and ask for forgiveness. However, in some cases I don't think forgiveness is possible, in the case of paedophiles, for instance.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

30-07-2019, 09:26 AM

I absoutely agree
Forgiveness has to be earned .
And as you say in some cases forgiveness is impossible .

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top