Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 08:11 PM

Canada threatening EU

Looks like the despotic EU has been playing naughty and not respecting the agreed Canada-EU trade deal terms. They have been blocking exports from Canada resulting in Canada now importing more beef from the EU than they actually export.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...it-latest-news

"While Europe has seen a huge boost in trade, Canadian agri-business exports to Europe have seen an astonishing 10 percent drop.

Rich Smith, the Executive Director of Alberta Beef Producers, ripped into the “roadblock imposed by the EU”.

"As frustration with the European partnership grows, international law expert Genevieve Dufour warned that Canada could deploy its “dispute resolution mechanism” to retaliate against the EU.

She said: “If Canada believes the EU is not respecting the agreement, in agri-foods, it will take action.”

Canadian Agri-Food Trade Alliance chief Claire Citeau added: “The negotiated terms are not being respected.

“There are always delays, there are always exorbitant costs."

"“EU exports have increased but Canadian exports have dropped by 10 percent. We now have a €3.5billion trade deficit!”

Overall EU exports to Canada rose 11 percent in 2018 from a year earlier, but Canadian agricultural exports to the EU fell 15 percent."
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 01:59 AM

Re: Canada threatening EU

If canada feels the EU is in breach of the trade agreement, they can put it for arbitrage.
Damn, I forgot. The canadians didn't want an arbitrage commission or a role for the ECJ. Just hope the british will have more sense.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
If canada feels the EU is in breach of the trade agreement, they can put it for arbitrage.
Damn, I forgot. The canadians didn't want an arbitrage commission or a role for the ECJ. Just hope the british will have more sense.
This goes back to what I've been saying for months on here. These FTA's with Canada, Japan etc are not complete or ratified and only partially implemented.

It's not surprising that with the UK leaving these other countries like Canada have reviewed their trade with the EU and realised that, although they have kept up their side of the bargain, the EU has not (no surprise)

Expect a lot of renegotiation between Canada, Japan, Singapore, MERCUSOR etc in the coming months because a core part of those trade deals included UK services. Now we are leaving and Canada etc can make deals directly with us, it leaves a gaping hole in the EU offerings and their negotiating position.

As for the WTO appellate body, I don't think can do anything because of the crisis as a result of Trump pulling out recently... who knows, but one thing is for certain, that the new USA, Canada and Mexico trade deal and Brexit could have a big impact on all trade deals and bilateral agreements the EU has.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
This goes back to what I've been saying for months on here. These FTA's with Canada, Japan etc are not complete or ratified and only partially implemented.

It's not surprising that with the UK leaving these other countries like Canada have reviewed their trade with the EU and realised that, although they have kept up their side of the bargain, the EU has not (no surprise)

Expect a lot of renegotiation between Canada, Japan, Singapore, MERCUSOR etc in the coming months because a core part of those trade deals included UK services. Now we are leaving and Canada etc can make deals directly with us, it leaves a gaping hole in the EU offerings and their negotiating position.

As for the WTO appellate body, I don't think can do anything because of the crisis as a result of Trump pulling out recently... who knows, but one thing is for certain, that the new USA, Canada and Mexico trade deal and Brexit could have a big impact on all trade deals and bilateral agreements the EU has.
When the deal was not closed, i.e. there is no agreement implemented, it's no use to complain for canada. They should take this up at the negotiating table. But, if contrary to your statement, an agreement does exist.........
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
When the deal was not closed, i.e. there is no agreement implemented, it's no use to complain for canada. They should take this up at the negotiating table. But, if contrary to your statement, an agreement does exist.........
The EU can't keep their word in any deal, typical of countries that are dictatorships. The EU is no different - the world is losing trust in their grubby little project.

This is just the start.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 04:01 PM

The EU can't keep their word in any deal, typical of countries that are dictatorships. The EU is no different - the world is losing trust in their grubby little project.

This is just the start.
Hi

The EU is a massive Trading Block.

A huge Market and they are flexing their muscles.

The UK is tiny in comparison.

Time will tell if Boris right and he does get advantageous Trade Deals for us.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

30-01-2020, 04:35 PM

This is just the start.
Talking about keeping word, have you recently looked in any ditches for your dead pm?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 12:29 AM

A logical outcome would be for Canada and the other countries involved to think again. Now we are available for making our own trade agreements, it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that these countries have decided that they'd be better agreeing to a free trade deal with us and kicking the EU into touch!

After all, we are infinitely more trustworthy than the dictatorial EU, something that 'third nations' are all beginning to see for themselves now.

We always have been an honest nation, even to the extent of being so to our own disadvantage. That is something which I believe is valued by others.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

03-02-2020, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
A logical outcome would be for Canada and the other countries involved to think again. Now we are available for making our own trade agreements, it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that these countries have decided that they'd be better agreeing to a free trade deal with us and kicking the EU into touch!

After all, we are infinitely more trustworthy than the dictatorial EU, something that 'third nations' are all beginning to see for themselves now.

We always have been an honest nation, even to the extent of being so to our own disadvantage. That is something which I believe is valued by others.
I suppose this week we will see boris sitting down to sign all those trade deals with all kinds of countries. Since boris took over from may as pm, he could have prepared those deals, postponing signing till the UK left.

All we hear now is the brits are starting to talk to those countries. How much time did you waste? How stupid are you over there?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 02:53 PM

Hi

Yes we have wasted years, but we have a change of Government.

A Government with such a majority it can make decisions.

Whether these are the right decisions time will tell.

The Japanese have stated that they wish to have a Trade Agreement on cars by the end of this year.

They have also stated that they have concerns that we have the capability to deliver this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top