Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2021, 07:52 AM

Re: Do you watch classic TV?

Married with Children (The Bundies) had to be one of the funniest American comedy programmes ever to come out of the States,
closely followed by Friends,
but it seems that a lot of USA comedy programmes don't travel the big pond to well i suppose it just depends on your sense of humour.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2021, 07:56 AM

Mary Hartman? Rhoda? Both funny in their day.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2021, 08:31 AM

Taxi. MASH.

Johnny Carson talk shows wouldn’t have been shown here. Yes, we would all have heard of the others, and don’t forget, Bob Hope was born here in Britain.

We have many other shows and series to watch, and probably don’t feel the need to bring those up. Once I’ve watched all my British soaps in the evening, and maybe one of our drama serials, I’m just about ready for bed and a book.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by spincycle42 ->
Just to say as I share over this fine forum, I am not meaning to be a know it all arrogant person or somebody who just shares his side....I want to hear your side very much.

I just like sharing and I live in a place where most of what I watch I cannot just find someone and start up a conversation about the following:

I seem to be drawn to these classics

Comedy

The Bob Newhart Show - That show is like home to me. It is so comforting even in the background. Bob's timing....so good.

The Odd Couple TV series 1st one- Felix Unger....he was the first Sheldon (BBT) in my view.

The Jack Benny radio and TV programs- Now this was before my time for sure ....but I clearly see how comedians who came after tried to emulate Jack ......but Jack was and still is unmatched.....he could milk something to death and it was so funny. and the radio broadcasts....I listen on audio recordings from his first show onward....so cool...and i love even the ads as that whole period 30's 40' 50's all cam to life for me. Jack was a legend and still is to me.

Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show) Johnny idolized Jack and caught a lot from him ....but Johnny was his own guy too and man could he just keep it going and interesting and spontaneously funny and he didn't divide his audience on sensitive issues...war, politics religion. Plus Johnny let his guests do their thing....he got that from Jack too.

I guess ....most recent ...I got to give high high credit to a newer show ....The Big Bang Theory.....best show in years...Jim Parsons / Sheldon is the best I have seen in a particular role in many years.

Lastly ...yes I'll finish.....the secret to that show BBT is that they pointed out something that was already said that for sure was racially or sexually or whatever biased ...no doubt and you would figure that the PC crowd would harp so much on it....but the genius of it was that they the actors Raj and others would say that's racist or they would note that what they joked about was socially unacceptable ....but ....the key thing is they got the laugh.....it's that ole saying better to ask for forgiveness than permission......and the writers of that show are fantastic

one more thing....Jonathon Winters on the Carson show...and him with Robin Williams....

Thankful for the video access on the internet....not sure if you can name names but you know where to watch videos on the internet.....thousands....

Please share.....
I absolutely adore Bob Newhart. Always a straight face and impeccable comic timing.

Can’t say I’ve watched Jack Benny. I watched the Tonight Show but not religiously.

I loved the Carol Burnett Show. Such a talented lady.
Here’s a really nice clip!

Can’t get enough of the Golden Girls. Betty White is the only surviving cast member. So sad.

And don’t get me started on BBT. Such a hoot!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 08:39 AM

Yes Minx, I agree about The Golden Girls. Did enjoy that.
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

20-03-2021, 08:58 PM

How many takes did the Bob Newhart Show do for a scene. I understood that Bob Newhart didn't like to rehearse too much. Seems like he liked the spontaneity. His way of just nodding and pausing …..a lot like Benny....was so great to watch. Plus I liked that he did not play the dumb father and that they (Bob & Emily characters) were working adults.

I had a friend who's husband was in the industry, an actor and she lived in Westwood in this pink apartment complex,,....ritzy ..but pink. I met on Alvera street....and she had friends of course who were in the industry and the director from Gunsmoke came over and the another somebody from Hill Street Blues.....The woman I stayed with was Nannete O'neil….she was known helping misfortunate people in her neighborhood. She took me to the Smuckers Jam owners house and I still remember looking out at the lights of LA from above ….I think we were near Mulhulland sp? drive. Anyway.....Nan was trying to refine me in fine dining (we weren't romantic or anything) It was an interesting experience. I talked to these people ….I guess they were workers in film and TV and the funny thing was they were mostly transplants not having grown up in LA mostly from the Midwest and definitely NYC....I could hear their accents. Kind of a superficial talk that was, almost like comparing each other ….I didn't care as I just rattled off whatever in conversation....but their words seemed very measured....Hollywood...hmmmnn I thought.
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

20-03-2021, 09:29 PM

BBT ...the lines that Sheldon says are just side splitting to me ….I laugh so hard my stomach hurts......and it is his delivery....absolute delivery.

"Well powder me with sugar and call me a doughnut.....if it isn't Leonard Hoftstedder!"

The writers of that show are so in tune with the times ….it is the same reason why I liked 2 and Half Men.....same writers ...although I mean with Sheen not Kutcher.

something about how Walowitz bested me like Mrs. Riley's chicken.....that snowy tree cricket one ….

The show at times reminds me of early Woody Allen stuff. Like he comes up with lines like "Hey so What's Death like?" "It's better than the chicken at Tresky's" ….from Woody Allen movie Love & Death

Lots of one liners in BBT.

They must of had a blast filming that at times.

When Sheldon rewards Penny like a dolphin with sweets

And I still like Seinfeld's..."not that there is anything wrong with that"
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

20-03-2021, 09:30 PM

sorry ...correction..."not that there is anything wrong with it"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top