Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 12:55 PM

Re: Another Blow for Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Scots votes get more choice yet again.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...m-independence

Scottish electors cast two votes. The first is for a constituency MSP, elected by first-past-the-post as in Westminster elections. The second is for a regional party list, with seats distributed proportionally to ensure that the overall balance in the parliament is close to the regional list vote. Pro-independence parties won 49% of the constituency vote and 50.1% of the vote in the regional lists.
As I understand it there was a majority for independence (SNP + Greens) before election, and after there still is?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
As I understand it there was a majority for independence (SNP + Greens) before election, and after there still is?
#
The SNP were in an even better position going into the 2014 independence referendum Solasch. They had a 4 seat overall majority then without the Greens. They still lost the referendum, 55.6% no, 47.7% yes on a 84.6% turnout.

Edit. Sorry as Ray Cathode has pointed out it should be 55.3% no and 44.7% yes. I must have had a blackout or something
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 02:29 PM

55.3% no 44.7% yes
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
55.3% no 44.7% yes
I suppose he means YES to a NO vote Ray ??
If that makes sense ?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
55.3% no 44.7% yes
Yes Ray you are correct. I have edited my post.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
#
The SNP were in an even better position going into the 2014 independence referendum Solasch. They had a 4 seat overall majority then without the Greens. They still lost the referendum, 55.6% no, 47.7% yes on a 84.6% turnout.

Edit. Sorry as Ray Cathode has pointed out it should be 55.3% no and 44.7% yes. I must have had a blackout or something

Wasn't there something amiss with that referendum, in that promises were made, arguments given to vote for staying in the royal union, that on later balance were not valid?
scot37
Aberdeenshire

11-05-2021, 06:02 PM

Wasn't there something amiss with that referendum, in that promises were made, arguments given to vote for staying in the royal union, that on later balance were not valid?
There are usually promises made by both sides Solasch. It is is up to the voters to decide who is telling the truth.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 06:06 PM

No more than in any referendum.

Then as now the SNP had no firm proposal for the future.
No budget; no idea what currency to use; etc. etc. etc.
Those things remain the real obstacle to Scottish independence.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
No more than in any referendum.

Then as now the SNP had no firm proposal for the future.
No budget; no idea what currency to use; etc. etc. etc.
Those things remain the real obstacle to Scottish independence.
Exactly...if she just came forward with something concrete that we could believe in, then we could make an informed decision. But no...its all "lets get independence then we shall take it from there!" Sorry. mrs, I'm not for voting on that.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Exactly...if she just came forward with something concrete that we could believe in, then we could make an informed decision. But no...its all "lets get independence then we shall take it from there!" Sorry. mrs, I'm not for voting on that.

Neither will lots of other sensible Scots once the truth hits home.
I remember for example seeing a poll, admittedly some time ago now, that suggested many previously pro-Indy Scots would change their vote if independence meant losing the £ and recent polls suggest similar sentiments if the inevitable hard border becomes a consequence too.

Despite decades of propaganda (like it or not that is what has been happening in Scotland) we Scots are too canny a bunch to fall for fairy tales.
Especially after Brexit if independence is to be a real option it has to be on the basis of full and honest disclosure of what the immediate future would hold.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top