Join for free
Page 26 of 33 « First < 16 24 25 26 27 28 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 12:55 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Yes and there are those surveys that come up on my emails. You answer a few questions, and then ask if you will donate x £s
To support the whatever it is.
Oh, I'm perfectly happy to participate in the surveys.
I never donate anything though, of course.
It's against my religion.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 02:36 PM

It looks like the Royal Mail text scam has been closed down by the police with 8 arrests being made around the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57226704

I hope they get more than 2 or 3 years each behind bars.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
It looks like the Royal Mail text scam has been closed down by the police with 8 arrests being made around the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57226704

I hope they get more than 2 or 3 years each behind bars.
I hope so too, but I shouldn't bet on it!

At least the police are doing a good job. A shame that they are not supported better by the lenient courts.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I hope so too, but I shouldn't bet on it!

At least the police are doing a good job. A shame that they are not supported better by the lenient courts.
The courts can't even deal with the physically dangerous among us, never mind the ones who try and steal our money.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-05-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
The courts can't even deal with the physically dangerous among us, never mind the ones who try and steal our money.
They could - if they weren't so soft!
Yes, I know that sentences for specific crimes are limited and decided by the government (I think). Perhaps if a few more MPs were attacked or even killed, they might think about it!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have just had a call from a number showing as 0022 code.

I do not know this code, and suspected a scam so didn't pick up.
On checking the number out, apparently it is a '"Fake number" from abroad.

What are 'fake numbers' exactly, where do scammers get them from, how are they generated, and why they are even allowed to work?
It's quite easy, these days, just to buy a live telephone number. There are plenty available, in various companies, etc., Then the scammer just uses it like any other.

Nowadays, they can even get a mobile number similar to the ones in your area,.

If the scammer is big time he'll have a machine which rings every possible number (maybe in an entire country).

If someone picks up, it's recorded on his "active" list.

If the one who answers, or the answering machine, answers with a name (hello Joe Bloggs here, I can't come to the phone...........) then the scammer has a name and the number.

Then he can ring you with what seems to be a legit query for your house (About your Virgin Media, Census, Elec Bills, etc)

If you say you aren't a customer he can ring off and try someone else.

If you are a Customer, he only needs "confirm your password, account number, etc" & he's got all he needs!

He'll find it hard to get into your bank, but eBay, or some such account, may be much easier.

Goodbye money.

Never give your name, automatically, on answer, a legit caller would know it.

Never give your account number, or password. A legit outfit would be able to tell YOU your account number.

Never give your address, same as above.

I think you'll find that legit Customers never ask any more.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-05-2021, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
It's quite easy, these days, just to buy a live telephone number. There are plenty available, in various companies, etc., Then the scammer just uses it like any other.

Nowadays, they can even get a mobile number similar to the ones in your area,.

If the scammer is big time he'll have a machine which rings every possible number (maybe in an entire country).....etc.
Yes, Homer had one of those!

Excellent advice, BTW
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 12:00 PM

The latest scam, reportedly, is the one called the FluBot.
The National Security Agency says it affects your Mobile phone (Android) by asking you to download an app to track your parcel.

This new text says its from DHL for tracking parcels from Amazon, Argos, or Asda.

Delete it without clicking any link (on your mobile) and head for the DHL site (https://track.dhlparcel.co.uk) to get the real story.

If you have installed the scam, on your mobile, you might have to do a factory reset to get rid!
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 09:16 AM

Been using Gumtree for about a year and have bought and sold stuff, cash, no problems.

we advertised some equipment yesterday for £275 and within minutes someone asked if it was still available. The person said their son was working but would definitely be interested. Could I email more photos to him. I said to my OH “why can’t he just look on Gumtree” and I could kick myself but we were dashing around yesterday and they caught me on the hop as it were.
I emailed the photos so I was now emailing OFF Gumtree.

He replied late last night and said he wanted to pay by Paypal and would send a courier. I felt uneasy because he asked no questions at all about the item. I googled his name and he lives in Romania!!! Then I googled Gumtree/Paypal etc and the advice everywhere was don’t do it. I replied and said No Paypal and asked where he lived and he replied and ignored that question and sent me a link to Paypal and suggested I open an account as it is “fast and reliable” (his language had by now made a marked improvement) .

Obviously it’s a dodgy link. I will now block further emails.
You can’t let your guard down for a moment can you?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

05-06-2021, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Been using Gumtree for about a year and have bought and sold stuff, cash, no problems.

we advertised some equipment yesterday for £275 and within minutes someone asked if it was still available. The person said their son was working but would definitely be interested. Could I email more photos to him. I said to my OH “why can’t he just look on Gumtree” and I could kick myself but we were dashing around yesterday and they caught me on the hop as it were.
I emailed the photos so I was now emailing OFF Gumtree.

He replied late last night and said he wanted to pay by Paypal and would send a courier. I felt uneasy because he asked no questions at all about the item. I googled his name and he lives in Romania!!! Then I googled Gumtree/Paypal etc and the advice everywhere was don’t do it. I replied and said No Paypal and asked where he lived and he replied and ignored that question and sent me a link to Paypal and suggested I open an account as it is “fast and reliable” (his language had by now made a marked improvement) .

Obviously it’s a dodgy link. I will now block further emails.
You can’t let your guard down for a moment can you?
Good Post!

Page 26 of 33 « First < 16 24 25 26 27 28 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top