Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 07:43 PM

Re: Cost of dining out

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Spot on. It never fails to amaze me how incredibly stupid some people are.

Rather like certain kinds of so-called art, and the so-called art critics. When a few "art critics" write articles which swoon over an artist who makes paintings that you can not identify what the heck it is, or in the case of "the invisible statue", I can not help but think a certain percentage of the population is totally wacko.

Same with "arty" foods. Tiny bits of food and perhaps a flower, which would not fill-up a 4 year-old child.
Totally agree. I hate those massive plates with a tiny dot of food in the centre yet some people rave over them. They must be laughing their heads off in the kitchen.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 08:09 PM

I remember one evening in the (in)famous Europa Hotel in Belfast being presented with a Dover Sole served up Nouvelle cuisine style. Beautiful fish on a gert big plate surrounded by a garden. It looked wonderful. Sadly the effect was slightly spoiled by the waitress, a lovely great lump of a girl who asked as she put the plate down "Does yers want chips an' onion rings wid dat?"

Obviously I said yes. I loved my time in Ulster.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 08:23 PM

I have never understood the attraction of eating meals out, I would much rather spend the money on the equivalent of 5-6 bags of shopping and cook it myself with my own clean utensils.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
I have never understood the attraction of eating meals out, I would much rather spend the money on the equivalent of 5-6 bags of shopping and cook it myself with my own clean utensils.
To a point I agree with you. Too many eateries are still not very clean. As part of his job my OH goes into many and comes home with some horrible tales. There are some very expensive restaurants here on our coast which people queue up to go in but they never see the kitchens. So we have a list of places we would never eat in!

One of cleanest places around here is actually Wetherspoons. You can see into the kitchens and it looks very clean and all the staff have their hair and beards covered.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:25 AM

Flower power many years ago I ran pubs and cooked home made good food . I would never send a plate of food out that I wasnt prepared to eat myself . I was fanatical about cleaning and in one small pub the locals would say shes cleaning again because the bleach smell would envelop the bar . In those days no checks were ever made . I've seen some bad places too .

I agree about wetherspoons , but I did make a complaint to the manager once as I watched the staff plating up using hands with no gloves , he immediately went in and the next time all were wearing gloves.

I dont know if this is correct but my son told me wetherspoons steaks are actually in pre packs and boiled not fried/grilled but cooked in boiling water .....anyone know if this is true ?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I agree about wetherspoons , but I did make a complaint to the manager once as I watched the staff plating up using hands with no gloves , he immediately went in and the next time all were wearing gloves.

I dont know if this is correct but my son told me wetherspoons steaks are actually in pre packs and boiled not fried/grilled but cooked in boiling water .....anyone know if this is true ?
No idea, but I remember being in a Little Chef years ago and when I ordered an omelette I was told that they hadn't been delivered yet. They did have eggs, but apparently not the skill set to use them to make an omelette.

Was also told in a McDonalds that they had run out of eggs and that, in any case, the egg frying machine had broken down. This was a store within Asda, which stocka multiple thousands of eggs, and their griddle plates seemed to be working just fine.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Flower power many years ago I ran pubs and cooked home made good food . I would never send a plate of food out that I wasnt prepared to eat myself . I was fanatical about cleaning and in one small pub the locals would say shes cleaning again because the bleach smell would envelop the bar . In those days no checks were ever made . I've seen some bad places too .

Susan, At one time, Whetherspoon's steaks were Zebu!
I don’t think they are anymore.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Susan, At one time, Whetherspoon's steaks were Zebu!
I don’t think they are anymore.
Nowt wrong with Zebu.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 12:54 PM

what on earth is Zebu? Oh its ok, I looked it up...it sounded like a cross between a zebra and a gnu, so I thought I had better double check.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 01:20 PM

Blimey zebru, they tasted good mind !

Especially with bottle of red wine

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top