Join for free
Page 28 of 33 « First < 18 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 09:52 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Do Amazon regulate or have anything to do with Amazon marketplace, JBR? Sounds like they just take the money for the listings, and leave the folks to fight it out amongst themselves!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Do Amazon regulate or have anything to do with Amazon marketplace, JBR? Sounds like they just take the money for the listings, and leave the folks to fight it out amongst themselves!
I'm not sure to be honest. It does sound like it!

Some Marketplace items sold separately seem to be clearly marked as such, but the add-on items like the one I ordered are not clearly marked.

I shall certainly be more careful in future.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 05:50 PM

My friend worked all her life as a legal secretary so is fairly on the ball but she has been scammed many times in the last couple of years.

There was a pop up offering supposedly wonderful face creams at bargain prices. She didn’t read it properly and when she got her bank statement she saw that they were charging her £80ish a month! She had a helluva job arguing and emailing with them but eventually stopped further payments but still had to pay the first one.

I am forever warning her about scams on Facebook, she is always “liking and Sharing” posts where she thinks she will win a mobile home or a luxurious car.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
My friend worked all her life as a legal secretary so is fairly on the ball but she has been scammed many times in the last couple of years.

There was a pop up offering supposedly wonderful face creams at bargain prices. She didn’t read it properly and when she got her bank statement she saw that they were charging her £80ish a month! She had a helluva job arguing and emailing with them but eventually stopped further payments but still had to pay the first one.

I am forever warning her about scams on Facebook, she is always “liking and Sharing” posts where she thinks she will win a mobile home or a luxurious car.
You're right, FP, as there have to be lots of folk who will fall for the tricks - otherwise the scammers would go bankrupt!

Mind you, there are many, so called, reputable companies who will trick to into such a monthly charge without you ever knowing that you'd done it!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
You're right, FP, as there have to be lots of folk who will fall for the tricks - otherwise the scammers would go bankrupt!

Mind you, there are many, so called, reputable companies who will trick to into such a monthly charge without you ever knowing that you'd dome it!
I fell for one of those.
It was for a free sample of some sort of lotion, but you had to pay postage. Of course I had to give details of an account for the postage.
A month later I noticed an an amount had been taken from this account. Contacted bank, found out what it was for. Bank cancelled the payment and got my money back.
It seems that when I took the offer of the free sample, at the bottom of the page in very small print, I subscribed to a monthly supply.
So as has been said. “read the small print”
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:33 PM

This one popped up in my inbox today. Unfortunately I'm not with EE!

EE Monthly billing
The payment for your latest bill has failed. This can have several reasons. By our Next attempt on 2021.06.13, please make sure :

your card has enough available funds to pay latest bill
your card hasn't expired;
e-commerce transactions are enabled for your card;
͏T͏o ͏a͏v͏o͏i͏d ͏d͏i͏s͏c͏o͏n͏n͏e͏c͏t͏i͏o͏n ͏o͏f ͏y͏o͏u͏r ͏p͏l͏a͏n ͏p͏l͏e͏a͏s͏e ͏u͏p͏d͏a͏t͏e ͏y͏o͏u͏r ͏b͏i͏l͏l͏i͏n͏g ͏d͏e͏t͏a͏i͏l͏s ͏o͏n ͏t͏h͏e ͏f͏o͏l͏l͏o͏w͏i͏n͏g ͏p͏a͏g͏e b͏e͏l͏o͏w :
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:42 PM

Get Bt Call protect.

After a dodgy call, call up BT call protect and they will have the number, despite what the scammers try. Then simply blacklist it and you won't hear from that number again.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 09:13 AM

Yesterday. These dodgy phone callers must have a script.
Yesterday I had one saying that my phone bill is being reduced.
When I questioned her, I asked is it my land line or mobile. Took a time to get an answer and I was leading her. So I said is it my ‘Sky’ contract? (That I don’t have). She said yes and then started the wanting bank details. Told her to go forth and multiply as I don’t even have Sky.
I must get a life and not waste my time with these.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 10:45 AM

At least once a week myself or OH get the phone message from “HMRC” saying there is a warrant out for our arrest because of unpaid tax and to contact them to get it stopped.

We also get the one from Hermes about undelivered parcels and paying a fee to get them.

Then we get the one about our computer having problems.

And the one about our broadband going to be disconnected.

It just goes on and on.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 12:28 PM

I've totally given up my landline now, it's now been attached to an answering machine so I never answer it personally. A recorded message asks that a message is left and that anyone who knows me already has my mobile number so to phone me on that. I need to have a landline for the broadband or I would just disconnect it. The scammers can have it and chat as long as they like, I am not interested.

Although I am now getting scam calls on my mobile, these calls are instantly terminated and the number blocked. These on the mobile only started after giving that number to a windscreen repair company, after I had a screen on the car cracked, obviously the number was sold on.

It used to be fun to lead the scammers on when they phoned the landline, especially the 'computer scammers'. I make them believe I am taking the bait and appear interested, they mention they work for big companies like BT who they do work for on Microsoft and Windows and that they can fix the problem for me etc., etc. all the usual spiel. Then I ask which of my computers is the problem, no response, then I tell them I use only Apple Macs so which one is it? Instantly the call is ended!

Page 28 of 33 « First < 18 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top