Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
ezduzit
USofA
ezduzit is male 

18-06-2021, 02:02 AM

Re: Containers,etc

I used a lot of wire baskets with sphagnum moss, unfortunately the birds love it as much as I did.

With those, I usually tried to use a plants that had rhizomes that would poke out of the moss, and eventually cover and protect the moss, but would constantly have to replenish the moss in the meantime.

One of my favorites was Mexican Evening Primrose, both pink and white in the same container.

I discovered the pink at Dodger Stadium, a whole large planter full, as they are quite invasive due to the rhizomes.

They have a nice fragrance at night.
One evening and one evening only, I thought to myself, if the color grey had a fragrance, this is what it would smell like!

Forever after that night though, I attributed that comparison to inhaling a little to much of the second hand Acapulco Asparagus smoke coming from my next door neighbor's backyard.

I also used a lot of galvanized tubs for the half-dozen varieties of bamboo I was growing, as they are about a foot deep, which is close to the depth of the root system of many bamboo species.

The exterior achieved an aged look, which I liked, and the material was strong enough so the the runners wouldn't poke through the sides or bottoms.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ezduzit ->
I used a lot of wire baskets with sphagnum moss, unfortunately the birds love it as much as I did.

With those, I usually tried to use a plants that had rhizomes that would poke out of the moss, and eventually cover and protect the moss, but would constantly have to replenish the moss in the meantime.

One of my favorites was Mexican Evening Primrose, both pink and white in the same container.

I discovered the pink at Dodger Stadium, a whole large planter full, as they are quite invasive due to the rhizomes.

They have a nice fragrance at night.
One evening and one evening only, I thought to myself, if the color grey had a fragrance, this is what it would smell like!

Forever after that night though, I attributed that comparison to inhaling a little to much of the second hand Acapulco Asparagus smoke coming from my next door neighbor's backyard.

I also used a lot of galvanized tubs for the half-dozen varieties of bamboo I was growing, as they are about a foot deep, which is close to the depth of the root system of many bamboo species.

The exterior achieved an aged look, which I liked, and the material was strong enough so the the runners wouldn't poke through the sides or bottoms.
Used as in past tense ? you don't have them now ?
ezduzit
USofA
ezduzit is male 

19-06-2021, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Used as in past tense ? you don't have them now ?
Nope. And it breaks my heart, because I had some container plants for well over a decade, some from my first house.

I was like one of those obsessed animal people with a hundred cats or dogs in the house.
Whenever I did yard work, I wouldn't throw out the trimmings etc., I would just put them into another pot and then eventually sell them at garage sales.

When I sold my last house, I moved into a large trendy second floor apt, which had a balcony and private roof access, which is where some the bamboo and such went.

I had some plants that I turned into topiaries.
Some that were actually bush-type by nature, by removing all but the longest-straightest branch and placing a stake into the container and training it.

I then went into another building after giving most of what was left of the container ones away. After giving some away to friends, I put a 'free plants' ad in the paper.

I had a fifteen year old Bougainvillea topiary that not only did I have to give away, but it was to a real jerk from work that nobody liked, that I worked with briefly for a few days, but I was desperate.

To add insult to injury when I offered it to him (as he didn't come for that one) he said "Oh, I like Googenbillia"...not Bougainvillea, Goog-in-bee-lee-ah!

I ended up taking only a couple of plants to my next building and volunteered to take care of all of their container plants correctly.

Now housing is a bit high, so in the meantime, I'm limited to transplanting, pruning and training on the sly, in forests or public parks.

In my defense, I neglected to clarify it was light grey, not dark!
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 11:25 AM

Nope. And it breaks my heart, because I had some container plants for well over a decade, some from my first house.
Shame, sounds as if its something you really enjoy.
ezduzit
USofA
ezduzit is male 

20-06-2021, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Shame, sounds as if its something you really enjoy.
Indeed.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 06:49 AM

We’ve had nothing but rain here, since last Thursday...

My containers and baskets are doing well.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC43375C-8310-4EDF-A7D7-B56F9AEF31E8.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	16022   Click image for larger version

Name:	C6955CB8-6C18-4A8D-B828-C459D163512A.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	16023  
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 06:56 AM

These containers are all on the decking.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	A30ACC8F-CEEC-450D-ADC3-E6AFEAB20F9A.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	16024   Click image for larger version

Name:	B51FA574-F928-4468-8C9C-43338E5AB8FA.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	16025   Click image for larger version

Name:	61E3B2AE-AA0F-48B8-907C-ACE2554D7EFE.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	16026   Click image for larger version

Name:	8DA29181-15DF-4BD1-96E5-8947071F2A28.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	16027   Click image for larger version

Name:	06E34B26-DB9B-43F3-8DDC-A975B4D05457.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	16028  

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 10:13 AM

Very nice, Pauline….
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

22-06-2021, 10:30 AM

Thanks, Mags.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 10:53 AM

Hi

Yours are lovely, put mine to shame.

My garden is still very much a work in progress.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top