Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 04:59 PM

Re: The Triple Lock.

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Ok Todger, walk the talk...you liquidate your assets and live off them. Sell your house, for example, to a young family in need.
I don't need to. I already live off my assets.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
What's the alternative? Live off the taxes that other people pay while keeping their own money to themselves?

The welfare state is already FAR to generous and should be nothing other than a safety net.

What right to we retirees have to expect young working people often with huge debts and families to pay for things that we can pay for ourselves by spending our savings or liquidating our assets first?
What I wonder if you are forgetting Todger is that we paid for the elders when we were young, working\, paying taxes for security benefits etc. for others and when we had families to rear. Stuff to do with finance is always paid in advance with money we have not yet got into the coffers - as I am sure you know. Nothing is saved for in advance and then spent when needed. We as oaps have every right to what went before us when we were younger and fitter. m Perhaps not put that very clearly, but I am sure you will understand what I mean.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 06:58 PM

I don't need to. I already live off my assets.
You bragging or complaining - so do a lot of people, but also for a lot it is a combination of finance resources for older age.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
What I wonder if you are forgetting Todger is that we paid for the elders when we were young, working\, paying taxes for security benefits etc. for others and when we had families to rear. Stuff to do with finance is always paid in advance with money we have not yet got into the coffers - as I am sure you know. Nothing is saved for in advance and then spent when needed. We as oaps have every right to what went before us when we were younger and fitter. m Perhaps not put that very clearly, but I am sure you will understand what I mean.
Doesn't matter. Circumstances have changed. If people can pay for their needs they SHOULD pay for themselves up to and including liquidating possessions such as houses. They should NOT expect tax payers to give them money while they have assets themselves.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

20-06-2021, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
You bragging or complaining - so do a lot of people, but also for a lot it is a combination of finance resources for older age.
Neither bragging nor complaining, just replying to a comment.

The issue here is how wrong it is for people to expect tax payers to support them in the life they want while they still have untapped resources instead of only being given a safety net.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 08:05 PM

The issue here is how wrong it is for people to expect tax payers to support them in the life they want while they still have untapped resources instead of only being given a safety net.
Yes you were just replying and that's fair enough.

And I know (of, not know personally) many families who have plenty of assets yet still take from the tax payer. It isn't fair, and I'm sure the gov't knows about it, but doesn't want to touch the issue with a bargepole. Yet there are people who rely completely on tax payer money because without it, they would have nothing.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

20-06-2021, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Yes you were just replying and that's fair enough.

And I know (of, not know personally) many families who have plenty of assets yet still take from the tax payer. It isn't fair, and I'm sure the gov't knows about it, but doesn't want to touch the issue with a bargepole. Yet there are people who rely completely on tax payer money because without it, they would have nothing.
And that is absolutely fine and how it should be.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 09:52 PM

Unless they happen to be "business men" eh Todger ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 01:49 PM

I only have the state pension and live very well, though not luxuriously on it, even manage to save.
The triple lock should stay of course.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

21-06-2021, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
I only have the state pension and live very well, though not luxuriously on it, even manage to save.
The triple lock should stay of course.
It's unaffordable though.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top