Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 01:22 PM

Things are slow this year.

Hi

Looking at the photos of others my garden is a long way behind.

Admittedly I am behind because of being in hospital, but even so this year has been dire.

It has also been weird.

The woodpigeons have not touched my cabbages at all, but the pak choi, spinach and lettuce have been devastated.

The Swiss Chard has failed totally.

Rhian, the student next door, not our Rhian on here, is busy starting to resow and plant out again, but my hopes are not high.

My beans and peas have failed twice, onions doing well.

The only good thing is that my plan for dealing with the solid clay and flooding seems to have worked.

Didn't do it myself, too ill, but arranged it.

Digging out the clay for planting and channels in between filled with compost and perlite.

The middle bit has been done with a small border of bamboo etc and the rest in planters and the lawn covered with membrane and gravel.

Loads more to do however.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 01:43 PM

Re: Things are slow this year.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

My beans and peas have failed twice,
Was that due to their own incompetence, swim?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Was that due to their own incompetence, swim?
Hi

Could well have been Harbal.

I make no claim to being Alan Titchmarsh.

I learn a lot from people on here.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I make no claim to being Alan Titchmarsh.
Neither would I, especially if I were him.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 05:32 PM

Everything is slow here too, (South) compared to last year, we just haven't had enough hot sun.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 06:07 PM

Gardening is often a game of chance Swimmy, the spring was awful with a very dry April then a very cold May, and I too have lost many a crop which usually thrive. All we can do is keep going really and shrug our shoulders, win some and lose some, with the realisation that it's mostly it's just out of our hands...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-06-2021, 12:45 PM

Hi

Mine has just started to show some growth and the odd bit of colour Barry.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 01:49 PM

I think we are all in the same boat Swimmy, I have had to plant many things twice this year it was too cold for the first planting.

Surprisingly one thing I always have trouble growing, parsley has done really well, I am up to my knees in it .

You are not to late to plant some french beans, I have staggered my planting and will go through to the end of July.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 03:44 PM

My new potatoes are thriving

But my runner beans flopped !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top