Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 12:17 PM

Re: They are taking over, even traditional whisky!

I used to drink single malt Scotch, but Islay not Speyside.
I moved on to (dark) rum a few months ago, though I still have a little Scotch to hand.

As for the Chinese taking over this distillery and moving it to China, well Scotch drinkers will always maintain that it will no longer be Scotch.
Perhaps Chinese whisky will taste good, I don't know, but I'm sure that many traditional Scotch drinkers will avoid it.
Using the same stills, etc., is silly really. The Chinese could more easily have constructed their own.
They're very good at copying Western ideas, so I'm told!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I used to drink single malt Scotch, but Islay not Speyside.
I moved on to (dark) rum a few months ago, though I still have a little Scotch to hand.

As for the Chinese taking over this distillery and moving it to China, well Scotch drinkers will always maintain that it will no longer be Scotch.
Perhaps Chinese whisky will taste good, I don't know, but I'm sure that many traditional Scotch drinkers will avoid it.
Using the same stills, etc., is silly really. The Chinese could more easily have constructed their own.
They're very good at copying Western ideas, so I'm told!
When it comes to copying things the West has copied a great deal more from China over the centuries from agricultural technology forwards.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Won't this require a pipeline for the famous Scottish rain water?
Exactly d00d. Is it possible that they can replicate the waters that Scotch whisky is produced from? I don't think so, but they will have a go, I suppose, using chemicals. My OH certainly won't be trying any and he is something of an expert - he drinks enough of the stuff
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not too sure about it being called Scotch whisky, although it does make me wonder? Here we cannot call food products by their traditional name unless it is actually produced in that area. Take champagne for instance, that can only have that brand name if it's produced in the Champagne area of France. Pork pies for instance, Melton Mowbray pies possibly come under the same regulations.
It's easy for them to escape the brand name scotch Baz !
They just name or rename a town or region SCOTCH ??
Japan allready makes its own brand of 'scotch' BTW !!
So,is. it an existing distillery they are exporting, or just the whisky
making equipment ??
We must be careful though or we will be importing the stuff
instead of selling it ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔👎
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Exactly d00d. Is it possible that they can replicate the waters that Scotch whisky is produced from? I don't think so, but they will have a go, I suppose, using chemicals. My OH certainly won't be trying any and he is something of an expert - he drinks enough of the stuff
Well the Japanese whisky producers have been singularly successful in producing very fine analogues of the stuff produced in Eire, Ulster, Wales, even the 'orrible Isle of Man so there's no reason why China should not.
I would guess that the most difficult aspect will prove to be the barrels that the raw spirit is aged in. Even then it might prove possible to discover a means to age the stuff without using whole or traditional wooden casks.

But another aspect is the market that Chinese whisky might be concentrated on.

There's no doubt a huge market that would welcome a high quality but lower cost whisky. Then there's the counterfeit product market.

If it's a bottle that looks like a proprietary good whisky with a label that looks kosher containing a drink that tastes near enough then just like lookalike Gucci handbags or iffy Rolex watches there's a great market there.

After all the thing that matters most and far more than how much the product is like the real thing is how much profit can be made.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 01:37 PM

Hi

Water will not be an issue for the Chinese.

Test your water, take out everything you don't want in it by either distillation, Reverse Osmosis or Ion Exchange resins.

Test the water you want to replicate and then add the chemicals necessary.

Aquarium keepers do this all the time.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

16-07-2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Test your water, take out everything you don't want in it by either distillation, Reverse Osmosis or Ion Exchange resins.

Not that simple in the case of spirit distilleries.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

And l thought you were ' impractical Swimmy ??
But pissed goldfish won't be much of a market ? Imo!!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
My understanding is that whisky has an element of peat included in the distilling process that gives it a distinctive aroma - are they going to import Scottish peat as well?

I’ve tried a few but it’s not really my drink. I prefer Gin or a lovely Liqueur (I’ve got one that I’m saving for a special occasion - see pic). Some whisky’s are really strong.That being said, I’ve got a nice selection in the bar if I’m entertaining family and friends. I do enjoy a Jack Daniels now and then…

Attachment 16305
Not all Scots whiskies have peat in their manufacture, neither do most whiskies use barrels that have had their insides charred with fire to give a smoky taste. This is usually the method employed by the Islay distillers. Some of the better whiskies are matured in Sherry casks to give them that extra sweetness.

What is important is the choice of malt at the brewing stage and the cleanness of the water - most whiskies are made using fresh water from natural springs. If the Chinese can't get these two simple ingredients right, the project is doomed to failure. Another thing to consider is the ageing process in barrels - an unwritten law is that in order to be declared a whisky, a minimum of three years ageing is required.

Japanese whiskies are very good and regularly win prizes - just too damned dear. A bog-standard blended whisky is around £30, and prices are from £45 to £70 for single malts. Now, I'm a whisky fan, but there's no way I'd pay that sort of money for a bottle.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 06:02 PM

Im amazed that they wouldn't build their own mash tuns and distillation columns for less than the price of taking the thing apart and shipping. Maybe it's a credibility thing.

In either case, thought long term storage in barrels was what made a difference in the end product's flavour.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top