Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 07:54 PM

Has Anyone Been Scammed On The ‘DVLA’ Website?

A person l know, who is over 70, told me he has been scammed out of £80.

He went online to renew his driving licence and £80 was taken from his bank account.
He had filled in all his details to renew his licence and a box came up for him to fill in his bank details, so he did.

He feels so foolish and he’s hoping his credit card provider can retrieve his £80.

He is not hopeful.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 07:59 PM

Re: Has Anyone Been Scammed On The ‘DVLA’ Website?

That’s awful Artangel. I hope his provider refunds him.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 07:59 PM

Nope. I assume he's informed his credit card provider and they've blocked his card and issued a replacement.

Hopefully he's not been stung with any other fraudulent purchases in the meantime.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:00 PM

That’s awful Art, poor bloke.

What’s wrong with these scammers....it’s easily done though.

It happened to me with that money I sent abroad.

I fell for his story.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:04 PM

He urgently needs to get a stop put on the card before they take more.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:08 PM

I've heard of this happening before, apparently these 'scam' websites appear at the top of the list if searched for using one of the usual search engines, also they appear very authentic when found so take in the user very easily.

The way to protect against something like this involving using any government website is to look for the '.gov.uk' at the end of the URL in your browser. The website below is the authentic DVLA website for renewing various licences:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...censing-agency

This is the main gateway website to all government websites, which can be found on here under their relevant titles:

https://www.gov.uk
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:14 PM

The awful thing is, he is an intelligent man, always on the ball so this proves it could happen to anyone.

He is so mad with himself for filling in his card details but the ‘DVLA’ website looked genuine and authentic.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

16-07-2021, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Nope. I assume he's informed his credit card provider and they've blocked his card and issued a replacement.

Hopefully he's not been stung with any other fraudulent purchases in the meantime.
Yes, he has been in touch with his credit card provider which is through a big name store.
He has sent all the details and they are dealing with it.
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

16-07-2021, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
A person l know, who is over 70, told me he has been scammed out of £80.

He went online to renew his driving licence and £80 was taken from his bank account.
He had filled in all his details to renew his licence and a box came up for him to fill in his bank details, so he did.

He feels so foolish and he’s hoping his credit card provider can retrieve his £80.

He is not hopeful.
And a lot of these sites don't have a telephone number so you can't even contact anyone.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

16-07-2021, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Roj Blake ->
And a lot of these sites don't have a telephone number so you can't even contact anyone.
Roj, l feel sure he said, he’d contacted them but they wouldn’t give him a refund.

I think it must be a site that you log onto unwittingly as it looks official.
I suppose they would describe it as a service to help you renew your licence but sneak £80 from your credit card for ‘helping’ you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top