Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:28 PM

Re: Van Gogh farmhouse

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I don't really know how skilled an artist Van Gogh was, but I don't see any reason to think his despair was of a quality any higher than that of anyone else suffering from mental illness and experiencing despair. Why are we giving him so much praise for not being quite right in the head?
I believe he was very skilled Harbal. Yes he had a debilitating mental illness, but along with this I think Van Gogh's problem was that he was so deeply affected by the things he saw around him, things he could not do much about. He felt things so profoundly and periodically became unable to cope. His sensitivity was unbearable to him. As Don McLean's "Stary Starry Night" says - "this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you" NB the words to this song seem to help explain it to me.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:40 PM

I wouldn't say his farmhouse painting was particularly beautiful. It's
certainly better than anything I could paint that's for sure but it isn't something I'd want on my wall TBH.

The Mona Lise to me just looks like a dull painting of a rather plain woman who isn't even smiling! I've no idea why it's so celebrated over other examples of his artwork. The prices paid for so-called masterpieces are obscene.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I don't really know how skilled an artist Van Gogh was, but I don't see any reason to think his despair was of a quality any higher than that of anyone else suffering from mental illness and experiencing despair. Why are we giving him so much praise for not being quite right in the head?
I studied Art at school Harbal and I think one of the reasons he’s so famous is due to his expression of his mental illness through art. I don’t even think people knew what mental health issues were when he made those paintings

More and more, I’m seeing a growing awareness of people dealing with mental health issues.

I did not even look at the perspective of a tennis player’s anguish at giving a press conference after a bad match. Made me consider the other person’s perspective.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:51 PM

Vincent was not an unintelligent man and was aware of his own mental turmoil . He self committed himself to mental asylums on some occasions . He painted some of his famous starry night paintings while he was there .
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 01:18 PM

I wonder if anyone could post a picture of one of Van Gogh's paintings and explain how it conveys his mental state.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 01:22 PM

Didn’t you see my birds over cornfields ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-07-2021, 01:25 PM

Trying to post picture
Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I see a man striving to reproduce the beauty and vibrancy of the flowers and succeeding .
Van Gogh sunflowers are like no others they are practically alive.

If I saw his darker paintings such as his birds over a wheat field I would know straight away that the artist was troubled .
Can’t seem to reproduce it

This is another painting he painted from his room at the local mental asylum .
An interesting fact is that Vincent painted the swirling air pattern before scientists had discovered this .

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	E8E516A1-0477-476F-90FA-751A4CA0EAD4.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	16345  
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Didn’t you see my birds over cornfields ?
Yes I did, and I don't know what there is about it that suggests it was painted by a troubled man. Especially if you didn't already know about his being troubled.

Can you explain how that picture indicates Van Gogh's state of mind?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-07-2021, 05:41 PM

The frenzied movement in the painting IMO shows a mind in turmoil .
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:00 AM

.... or maybe just trying to replicate the wind blowing and the birds flying overhead.

It's funny how "experts" see hidden meanings in art and behavioural quirks after the event (no offence Muddy). I watch those profilers pontificating about killers on TV and how obviously they were lying because their eyebrow twitched or they shifted their little finger during interviews. What I want to know is, how come they never sit in on the interviews at the time if they're so insightful?

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top