Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 06:23 AM

Jimmy McGovern.

Did anyone see "Common", the Jimmy McGovern play on BBC1 yesterday evening ? It was the usual excellent, gritty stuff we get off this brilliant writer.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 06:35 AM

Re: Jimmy McGovern.

Saw part of it at a friend's house - it looked good. He is an excellent writer and, obviously, an avid 'people watcher' as his plays are always true to life.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 07:17 AM

It was great as his plays always are. Just as harrowing too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 09:47 AM

I have recorded it Alan I think JM is a master of his art .
down to earth
west yorkshire
down to earth is male  down to earth has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2014, 09:40 PM

I agree with all the positive comments regards " Common " made above.
Now I will nick pick a little.
Having identified the get away car and going to the home of the O'shays to arrest the owner brother why did the Police not impound the car for forensic testing, or did I miss that.
After learning the identity of the killer from young O'shay why did they not lift the killer when they served the search warrant at the O'shay home, he was across the street watching and lived nearby.
By not doing they gave him chance to flee had he chosen to.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 01:50 PM

I thought it was great. The injustice was awful though. Especially as we know this type of thing actually happens in real life.
down to earth
west yorkshire
down to earth is male  down to earth has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I thought it was great. The injustice was awful though. Especially as we know this type of thing actually happens in real life.
There was no injustice the young O'shay lived on an estate very near the guy who did the stabbing and it was quite clear to all of the type he was, a young thug.

If you associate with his type they will drag you down, this law is a good way to help prevent gangs getting off punishment.

The parents also new who he was associating with also and must take some responsibility for his situation.

No I think justice would have been served had this been a real life case, apart from the shop slob who tipped the gang off getting away scot free.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by down to earth ->
There was no injustice the young O'shay lived on an estate very near the guy who did the stabbing and it was quite clear to all of the type he was, a young thug.

If you associate with his type they will drag you down, this law is a good way to help prevent gangs getting off punishment.

The parents also new who he was associating with also and must take some responsibility for his situation.

No I think justice would have been served had this been a real life case, apart from the shop slob who tipped the gang off getting away scot free.
I'm sorry but I think think is was an injustice for the boy who only drove the car. Yes, he was involved in the aftermath, but I hardly think the sentence he received was worthy of the part he took in it.

It's an ill divided justice system. Be it a tv programme or in real life.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top