Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Any Opera Lovers Out There.

I know it's rare these days but I was brought up on classical music. My maternal grandfather was a brass band conductor in Nottinghamshire and as a result my mother liked classical music and passed her love of it on to me. I've seen live opera many times, my favourites being La Boheme for the story and Faust for the music. Do any of you like it?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2014, 01:09 PM

Re: Any Opera Lovers Out There.

Ive not been to a Opera but i do like the most popular songs that come from Opera.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2014, 02:58 PM

Any Opera Lovers Out There.

No Alan - cant understand a word of it - I do like some of the music though .......
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2014, 03:33 PM

I enjoy some of it, Madam Butterfly, for instance and I like the popular arias but have never been to an operatic performance - may do in future, who knows...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2014, 03:37 PM

I was never a fan of Opera Alan, not even Opera Wimpy on TV . I do love live theatre plays and always go to see the Agatha Christie players when they come over here to perform, love a good brass band too.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2014, 06:01 PM

Old style, Carl Orff, "Carmina Burana"

New style Philip Glass, "Ahknaten" "Einstein on the Beach"
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2014, 07:57 PM

I love opera. It encompasses all aspects of music and acting as well. I remember when I was a student I managed to get one of the late-selling tickets that they used to sell cheaply for a seat right up in the Gods in Covent Garden. The thrill of being there is a very special memory.
Verdi, Puccini, and Mozart are my most listened to operas. Years ago the Dublin Grand Opera Society used to come to Cork for a week and perform three different operas over the week. I never missed them. Sadly, they no longer exist but they still have the claim to fame of being where Pavarotti was 'discovered'.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2014, 09:24 PM

Yes, me
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2014, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I know it's rare these days but I was brought up on classical music. My maternal grandfather was a brass band conductor in Nottinghamshire and as a result my mother liked classical music and passed her love of it on to me. I've seen live opera many times, my favourites being La Boheme for the story and Faust for the music. Do any of you like it?
I was to a certain extent too, though I spent my teen years between one night stands at the local Odeon and Covent Garden.

I like La Boheme, it is much better than La Traviata and have seen it many times but my favourite opera has always been Le Nozze di Figaro, Dove Sono brings tears to my eyes every time, such an emotional aria.

The real problem with La Boheme (and la Traviata) is that sopranos rarely look consumptive.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2014, 03:51 AM

Mind you it is hard to go past 'Carmen' for a jolly good night out too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top