Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 04:48 AM

Carpets

Hi

Just ordered new carpet for hall, landing and stairs and new vinyl for the kitchen.

Went to Carpetright and SCS, gagged at the prices.

Did some research, Carpetright rename carpets, vinyls and underlay to their own brand names.

I have got exactly the same stuff for less than half the price.

I am also doing the lounge, so just researching that.

SCS are selling their Hercules carpet at £43.99 a sq metre.

It is made by Associated Weavers and available for £12.99 a sq metre.

Underlay is another Con, same stuff half the price.

Three hours on the Internet, total saving £2079.

It pays to shop around.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 07:45 AM

Re: Carpets

Well done with this, Swimmy. It certainly pays to shop around.
Two years ago we re-caperted our whole house for around £1800 with quality carpets.
I didn't go on the net but went to a local independent carpet warehouse and saved a lot of cash using them.
We do need the front room doing again as we only chose a basic underlay for that room (in summer) and it gets very draughty with the cold coming through the floor.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:01 AM

Ordered a 4m x 4m carpet from SCS for our lounge, when I got home there was 18" of floorboards showing, all round the edge of the room, got straight on the phone to complain, they said, haven't you seen the TV advert, there's 25% off everything.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Well done with this, Swimmy. It certainly pays to shop around.
Two years ago we re-caperted our whole house for around £1800 with quality carpets.
I didn't go on the net but went to a local independent carpet warehouse and saved a lot of cash using them.
We do need the front room doing again as we only chose a basic underlay for that room (in summer) and it gets very draughty with the cold coming through the floor.
Hi

Thanks for that Floydy.

I now live in an Ex Council with solid concrete floors and minimal insulation.

The new carpet and underlay has a 20 year Warranty will be paid for in 6 years with energy savings alone.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Thanks for that Floydy.

I now live in an Ex Council with solid concrete floors and minimal insulation.

The new carpet and underlay has a 20 year Warranty will be paid for in 6 years with energy savings alone.
Well worth it mate
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 09:55 AM

We bought a lovely Gold Twist, for 2 Bed and hallway and stairs, that was £21 per sq metre and that was from HICKS, we are very happy with it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 09:57 AM

Chose a carpet from a shop you like then order it online .
The online prices are much better .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

11-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Chose a carpet from a shop you like then order it online .
The online prices are much better .
But you need it fitting too I presume?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Yes, large sums can be saved by shopping around for carpets and not forgetting the small independent shops. When we moved about 5yrs ago we decided on the commercial flooring Flotex for our whole house carpeting due to its scrubbable durability and our ability to spill almost everything.
One sole trader did the lot for us including the specified 6mm plywood base and our saving over a well known high-street retailer's quote was almost 30% :thumbup:

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top