Join for free
Page 10 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 01:49 PM

Re: Bbc

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Indeed. But who makes that decision.
Good question. Perhaps a panel involving independent judges within it would be an idea. This would mitigate any potential legal proceedings afterwards.

In any case, IMHO the Bashir interview was of interest and not in the public interest, and hence not "necessary" for the common good.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 05:39 PM

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/24/princ...shir-14637506/

BBC chairman Richard Sharp has said there will be an investigation into why Martin Bashir was rehired by the broadcaster in 2016 after initially departing in 1999.
‘It may seem like a long few days but it is also worth us reflecting and deliberating on the reactions and making sure that our response is appropriate and comprehensive to satisfy those concerns.'
Have to be certain of singing from the same hymn sheet. He was the religious editor.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 12:28 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...izzed-MPs.html

Martin Bashir should be asked to answer questions, unlikely, but the others will not have anything new to add.

A defiant Mr Bashir said in a statement last month: 'This is the second time that I have willingly fully co-operated with an investigation into events more than 25 years ago.

'I apologised then, and I do so again now, over the fact that I asked for bank statements to be mocked up.

'It was a stupid thing to do and was an action I deeply regret. But I absolutely stand by the evidence I gave a quarter of a century ago, and again more recently.'
Sorry a meaningless word, sorry the truth about him has been revealed.

Forgery or [mock up] is the making of a false document in order that it may be used as genuine.

Committed a crime, admitted to it, will not face criminal investigation?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 04:14 PM

Martin Bashir should be asked to answer questions, unlikely, but the others will not have anything new to add.

Sorry a meaningless word, sorry the truth about him has been revealed.

Forgery or [mock up] is the making of a false document in order that it may be used as genuine.

Committed a crime, admitted to it, will not face criminal investigation?
To my mind, there's no "should be asked" in it. He must be told, on pain of a prison sentence, to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

16-06-2021, 08:41 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-ambition.html

Former BBC Governor Sir Richard Eyre.

Asked what consequences senior BBC managers should face for the fact Bashir used forged documents to secure the interview, Sir Richard said: 'I simply don't know what possible punishment there is except shame. I mean, I think that Tony Hall has suffered excessively from the revelations and has apologised.

'I think John Birt has played a very good hand because of course, he was editor in chief so I feel he has to take responsibility for what happened.

'But what punishment can there be? It was 25, 26 years in the past. The punishment is public shame.'

Discussing if there should be broader consequences for the corporation, Sir Richard said: 'Politicians have never liked the BBC. They can't bear the idea that a state broadcasting company is independent of the state and doesn't obey the mandate of the state.

'Also they hate the idea that it's paid by a hypothecated tax, so the Treasury can't play around with a tax.

'What can they do? Well, they can cut the legs off the BBC. That would be an act of massive cultural vandalism.

'The BBC is the most important cultural organisation in the world. And I very much hope that it's going to have the power to remain so.'
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

16-06-2021, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
To my mind, there's no "should be asked" in it. He must be told, on pain of a prison sentence, to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Feel that Mr.Bashir is being let off the hook because he could reveal more scandalous revelations.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 09:04 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-ambition.html

Former BBC Governor Sir Richard Eyre.
Oh, I'm sure he's speaking from a completely unbiased stance.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

16-06-2021, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, I'm sure he's speaking from a completely unbiased stance.

Indeed.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

01-07-2021, 09:17 PM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...oner-latest-vn

There is no support for the BBC's TV licence charge against the over-75s.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 10:30 PM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...oner-latest-vn

There is no support for the BBC's TV licence charge against the over-75s.

That's no big surprise.

In fact, I'd be surprised if there turns out to be much public support these days for the television licence full stop, at least in its present form in which the money goes exclusively to the BBC and all other TV companies are obliged to self-fund through advertising.

Page 10 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top