Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:03 AM

Coffee Grinds

I get through quite a bit of the stuff these days what with my new coffee maker and was wondering if I should put them on my garden soil. I have heard that coffee grinds help to ward off slugs as well as condition the soil.

Any comments anyone?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:09 AM

Re: Coffee Grinds

Slugs on caffeine? Hmm, interesting That's all I have to say on the matter. I use mine to dye paper and fabric.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Slugs on caffeine? Hmm, interesting That's all I have to say on the matter. I use mine to dye paper and fabric.
Ha yes, I can imagine them working day and night on my Hostas.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Ha yes, I can imagine them working day and night on my Hostas.
Well I did read that it overstimulates their mucous production, so slows them down...so maybe its worth a shot?
https://www.slughelp.com/coffee-grou...s-really-work/
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:39 AM

I have heard that coffee grinds help to ward off slugs
No, it simply enables them to stay awake longer, thus enabling them to do even more damage to your plants. Dregs of chamomile tea would be better, it inclines them to stop off for a nap before they proceed to decimate your prized flora.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 02:02 PM

I get through quite a bit of the stuff these days what with my new coffee maker and was wondering if I should put them on my garden soil. I have heard that coffee grinds help to ward off slugs as well as condition the soil.

Any comments anyone?

Dongle, do be careful if you do this, because of Murtagh.
I don't know what he's like, but certainly one of mine would have her snout in it, investigating, before I even got back indoors!

Have a read of this, and see what you think:

https://rehome.adoptapet.com/answers...unds-hurt-dogs

If you still decide to go ahead, this link has a lot of info on how to use coffee grounds.

Failing that, maybe you could just add it to the compost heap and mix it in, instead?

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/com...-gardening.htm
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 03:45 PM

As Mups said, add them to your compost heap if you have one. Otherwise, sprinkle them on your garden and hoe or rake them in.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-06-2021, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Dongle, do be careful if you do this, because of Murtagh.
I don't know what he's like, but certainly one of mine would have her snout in it, investigating, before I even got back indoors!

Have a read of this, and see what you think:

https://rehome.adoptapet.com/answers...unds-hurt-dogs

If you still decide to go ahead, this link has a lot of info on how to use coffee grounds.

Failing that, maybe you could just add it to the compost heap and mix it in, instead?

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/com...-gardening.htm
Thanks Mups. It's not worth it in that case. I shall bin it instead. I have just received some organic slug pellets that are not harmful to animals or bees so will stick with that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-06-2021, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
No, it simply enables them to stay awake longer, thus enabling them to do even more damage to your plants. Dregs of chamomile tea would be better, it inclines them to stop off for a nap before they proceed to decimate your prized flora.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 04:06 PM

Like you..new coffee machine, I have used it on an hydrangea which I want to change colour, rest goes into the compost bin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top