Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 01:41 PM

George Cross For The NHS?

OK, someone's got to mention it!

There are all kinds of scenarios which could make one think of the honour, such as the George Cross, being given to a large group, like the NHS.

Trouble is, in my thinking, people might well see some failings in the NHS, which might reflect badly on the public perception of the award?

Should it be more selective?

i.e. Nurses in, but others out?

Hospitals in but Local Surgeries out?

Pay rises for all, instead of awards?

Rewards for good financial planning?

George Cross:-

"The George Cross is the highest award bestowed by the British government for non-operational gallantry or gallantry not in the presence of an enemy. In the UK honours system, the George Cross is equal in stature to the Victoria Cross, the highest military gallantry award. This has been the case since the introduction of the award in 1940. It is awarded "for acts of the greatest heroism or for most conspicuous courage in circumstance of extreme danger", not in the presence of the enemy, to members of the British armed forces and to British civilians. Posthumous awards have been allowed since it was instituted. It was previously awarded to residents of Commonwealth countries, most of which have since established their own honours systems and no longer recommend British honours. It may be awarded to a person of any military rank in any service and to civilians including police, emergency services and merchant seamen. Many of the awards have been personally presented by the British monarch to recipients or, in the case of posthumous awards, to next of kin. These investitures are usually held at Buckingham Palace."
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 02:02 PM

Re: George Cross For The NHS?

Obviously they deserve it, but it doesn't pay the bills or put food on the table. A larger pay rise would be much more appreciated.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Should it be more selective?

i.e. Nurses in, but others out?
What about the bad nurses? Is it fair that a nurse who is no better than one of the "others" should be included among those considered to be more worthy than the others?

And what of those others who do an outstanding job? Few in number as they may be, can our consciences suffer their omission?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Obviously they deserve it, but it doesn't pay the bills or put food on the table. A larger pay rise would be much more appreciated.
Let's not kid ourselves, NHS pay is anything but low.

As for a medal --- what nonsense.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
For the job they do, it is.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 02:57 PM

I'm with Todger. I've posted a couple of times about nurses pay scales and provided the necessary links to prove my point. You can't tell me that a starting salary of around £25k for a nurse straight out of uni is low pay. Far from it says me because, within 3 or 4yrs, they could be earning upwards of £35k.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 03:06 PM

Interestingly, an article in today's Telegraph states that

"The NHS hasn’t earned the George Cross A significant proportion of the suffering during Covid was caused by the fact the NHS was not fit for purpose".

I don't know how to add a link but it makes interesting reading.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 03:18 PM

No it isn't. We generally encounter them while they are doing things that are exceedingly personal and even embarrassing which distorts our vision about what they do.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

As for a medal --- what nonsense.
I agree especially coming from Queenie who has probably never used the NHS in her very long life .
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Interestingly, an article in today's Telegraph states that

"The NHS hasn’t earned the George Cross A significant proportion of the suffering during Covid was caused by the fact the NHS was not fit for purpose".

I don't know how to add a link but it makes interesting reading.
Try this:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-george-cross/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top