Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 10:13 AM

Re: Energy Switching

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
A smart meter means that companies don't have to pay people to make home visits to take an actual reading to check that submitted reading are honest.
Which means that when the reading is wrong, you have a big problem trying to get it corrected!!

As far as I'm concerned, anything which gives control to someone else, leaves me out of control!!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 10:22 AM

Lindyloo

2 years ago I signed up with look after my Bills. I saved £200 that year they changed me from southern gas electric to another user , my Bill's were cheaper. I've now been switched for the last 8 months to utility point I've just upped my d d to £50 as suggested by the company from £38 dd . Each month I receive email asking me to send reading . I plug in the black box thing and read the numbers and send them up so no chance of wrong readings. I've had no issues at all . They will switch me again when this contract ends . It seems they are paid by the electric and gas companies not us . Fingers crossed it carries on like this because I am pleased. My house is a 2 bed terrace and I'm always in credit at the end of the contract and receive my money back

Edited to add I was told by southern electric gas that some companies do sell their energy cheaper as they buy cheaper
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
The cost of checking meters is, I am guessing, way less than the cost of installing a 'smart' meter in every home.
In the short run, but over time probably more economical.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 10:23 AM

Look after my Bills was on Dragon's Den a couple of years ago.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Lindyloo

2 years ago I signed up with look after my Bills. I saved £200 that year they changed me from southern gas electric to another user , my Bill's were cheaper. I've now been switched for the last 8 months to utility point I've just upped my d d to £50 as suggested by the company from £38 dd . Each month I receive email asking me to send reading . I plug in the black box thing and read the numbers and send them up so no chance of wrong readings. I've had no issues at all . They will switch me again when this contract ends . It seems they are paid by the electric and gas companies not us . Fingers crossed it carries on like this because I am pleased. My house is a 2 bed terrace and I'm always in credit at the end of the contract and receive my money back

Edited to add I was told by southern electric gas that some companies do sell their energy cheaper as they buy cheaper
The fact is they have quoted another energy tariff with the same company which will cost me quite a bit more. I have compared that tariff to others available and found another company (which I've used before and found them pretty good) which would be significantly cheaper.

"They are paid by electric and gas companies not us" - Yes - I agree. Some companies will no doubt pay them more than others................perhaps that's why they haven't recommended the cheaper tariff that has been recommended by WHICH and Money Saving Energy Club - neither of whom are commission based!!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 10:45 AM

I've never changed my gas supplier since we moved here almost fifty years ago. I've heard so many horror stories of people being ripped off with incorrect bills and projected Direct Debit payments, I send my meter readings in every quarter and they email my bill which I pay by card and never had a problem. I don't see the point of all the potential for hassle when you might save a hundred quid over the year...

Smart meters are the devils spawn, and should be avoided at all costs....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 03:22 PM

When our energy contracts come up for renewal, I do the searches on the tinternet and V handles the actual negotiations by phone. This works well for us and usually we stay with who ever it is at a rate at least equal to what we paid the previous 12/18months unless the quotes I come up with are more than £25/yr lower - then we change supplier.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...a quick word about smart meters, just heard on the radio when gas switches to hydrogen to comply with climate change regulations they won't work . They may all have to be scrapped.

I have said all along they are a con nothing to do with 'saving customers money' but a convenience for suppliers.
Absolutely. Whenever I switch, I refuse to go with any company which insists on my having a smart meter. In fact, I now find that there are fewer and fewer of them, so the message may be getting through.

Incidentally, I have always used the Cheap Energy Club to find me a competitive quote when my current deal is nearing the end.

However, I believe that Look After My Bills is also good, but with the additional service that they automatically move you to another supplier without you having to agree! I'd rather make my own decisions, once having all the information I need.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
A smart meter means that companies don't have to pay people to make home visits to take an actual reading to check that submitted reading are honest.
True. A few months ago my last supplier asked me to take a photo of each meter when my next readings were due.
Obviously, I couldn't 'wind the meters back', so I assume it was to prove that I wasn't lying!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

25-07-2021, 12:33 PM

Bit of an update on this:
When Look After my Bills informed me that they had switched me - within 50 days of termination so as not to incur a penalty charge - they sent an email informing me of the new supplier and tariffs and also said: "You are in complete control of this switch. You can cancel up to 14 days from 21/07/2021. Just let us know if you'd like to do that... but if you stay with us, you'll never be ripped off again!"

I responded and told them of the cheaper tariff I've found - with AVRO energy and got this response:
Unfortunately we aren't able to switch you to a specific tariff, our system is largely automated and there is no capacity for us to switch a customer to a specific supplier and/or tariff.

I'm astonished............and have now received a request for a review!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top