Join for free
Page 124 of 505 « First < 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 134 174 224 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:13 AM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Without panic, it is time to start serious planning, especially those over 60. I suggest that everyone think about those who are most vulnerable.

If possible, can grandma and/or grand dad move in with you? If yes, do so now.
Do they have cell phone paid up well in advance ?
How about their medicines ? Stock up if possible.
Ready cash on hand ? May be needed for home deliveries.
What happens if they can not pay their utilities ? Rent/mortgage ?
Do they have a good supply of multi-vitamins ?
Do they have a way to do laundry without leaving home ?
A month or more of a food supply.
Whatever liquids they like, again a months supply.

My suggestion is to think rationally about their needs and then do whatever is needed.

Just like it was with the AIDS crisis, and how it effected gays and drug users, this covid-19 is adversely effect US, the elderly.

Once again, no panic. Use the good brain you were born with to be rational. We, (you) were smart enough to live this long. Use that life experience to ride out this storm.

Remember, and I hate to use the cliché, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going".
Good post Bakerman
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My niece in Northern Italy said their supermarket which, is quite a way away from their house, opens one day a week and she had to join a long queue as they were only letting 3 people in at a time to do their shopping! She had to wait 58 minutes before she was allowed in.
I heard similar from a girl living in Italy on the radio this morning (her husband is in the RAAF and stationed in Italy - Milan?) She said that not only are only a couple of people let in to a supermarket everybody must stay one metre apart at all times including the queue waiting to get in.

She also said that as soon as people hear her speak English they back off assuming that she is a tourist and more likely to be infected.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I heard similar from a girl living in Italy on the radio this morning (her husband is in the RAAF and stationed in Italy - Milan?) She said that not only are only a couple of people let in to a supermarket everybody must stay one metre apart at all times including the queue waiting to get in.

She also said that as soon as people hear her speak English they back off assuming that she is a tourist and more likely to be infected.
That wasn't my niece, she lives very close to the Swiss border and her first language is Italian
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:42 AM

I have cancelled my butlins trip. One of my friends things I'm being a drama queen. So be it. My dad's health is more important than anyone thinking I'm over reacting.

I'm so upset to cancel but my dad is more important than anyone. Damn this virus
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I have cancelled my butlins trip. One of my friends things I'm being a drama queen. So be it. My dad's health is more important than anyone thinking I'm over reacting.

I'm so upset to cancel but my dad is more important than anyone. Damn this virus

Well I don't think you're a drama queen at all, Queenie.
I think you've done the right thing.

You can go to Butlins any time later on, but you can't replace your Dad so easily.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:51 AM

Hi LQ I think you have done the right thing, you would no doubt have spent your time worrying about your Dad anyway.
Good for you
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

12-03-2020, 12:54 AM

I would have done the same as you LQ, there are things more important in life than a holiday.

Good for you!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 01:02 AM

Lion Queen, Smart choice. Good for you. And, no, you're not being a drama queen at all. I only wish I had someone like you to watch out for me.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 02:08 AM

Trump has banned travel between the US and mainland Europe for 30 days. Travel from the UK is still permitted.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 03:28 AM

Well, I for one, am looking forward to my $750 (£375) Government handout:

Prime Minister Scotty from Marketing and Treasurer Josh Frydenberg have unveiled the details of their $17.6 billion plan to try to stop the economy sliding into recession because of coronavirus.

The package includes:

• Increase in instant asset write-offs for businesses
  • Wage assistance for apprentices and trainees
  • $750 stimulus payments for households receiving benefit payments
  • A payment of up to $25,000 for businesses

Scotty said the stimulus would have an obvious impact on the budget.

Naturally the Liberal Government, who claim to be better financial managers than Labor, are desperate not to be the government to lead Australia into recession after 29 years without one.

They are especially vulnerable after vociferously criticising the Rudd Government's handouts during the GFC

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...48214#Stimulus

Page 124 of 505 « First < 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 134 174 224 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top