Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 09:39 AM

Winter

well just a quick mention to make people happy

Yesterday 14th October was the official 1st day of winter here cold -4c bright blue sky, fantastic colours in the trees, browns , olives, greens , bronze. Snow on the mountain tops. quiet and still
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 09:53 AM

Re: Winter

Why the 14th? is it a specific date for something?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 10:27 AM

Winter this year began with an unholy bang for me at 5.30 a.m. last Wednesday. Coming back from 28 degrees in Tenerife to a cold, damp Manchester airport and it was absolutely freezing!

But, like Norway I understand his post. On holiday there was a couple from Iceland. An amazingly beautiful country but imagine living in all that darkness and snow all the time?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
well just a quick mention to make people happy

Yesterday 14th October was the official 1st day of winter here cold -4c bright blue sky, fantastic colours in the trees, browns , olives, greens , bronze. Snow on the mountain tops. quiet and still
Im told Norway is beautiful , but I'd so hate the cold . Are your daylight hours very short ?

Have you ever seen the northern lights , if so do tell us , that's something I'd like to see
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 11:01 AM

I prefer snow to a heatwave.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 11:15 AM

Hi Norway

We have been to Narvik on a sort of 24 hour trip to see the killer whales. I'm sure it is the coldest place I have ever been and I'm not normally one to feel the cold. I can remember trying to video the whales when we were on the fjord but had trouble moving my thumbs. A great trip though, plus it started snowing a well and looked very pretty.

Unfortunately the boat trip was cut short due to one of the passengers swimming in the fjord and suffering hypothermia. We were taken back to a hotel and given a free meal which was nice. I remember thinking there wasn't much meat on my pork chop, then realising it was actually whale blubber.

As the plane took off to come back, we were told that the Northern lights were visible on the left side of the plane but unfortunately we were sitting on the right.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 04:44 PM

I've been to Norway 5 times and seen the lights each time.When I was there in January one year I was in the extreme North and cruised down the coast. I didn't see the sun for 4 days. Sunrise merged with sunset and lasted for about an hour but there was about 4/5 hours of twilight. In February daylight hours weren't much different from home.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Why the 14th? is it a specific date for something?
No kits just a date that they thing is good for starting winter
Norway
i

15-10-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
I've been to Norway 5 times and seen the lights each time.When I was there in January one year I was in the extreme North and cruised down the coast. I didn't see the sun for 4 days. Sunrise merged with sunset and lasted for about an hour but there was about 4/5 hours of twilight. In February daylight hours weren't much different from home.

They reckon that the last week has been the best for them for years
Norway
i

15-10-2016, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi Norway

We have been to Narvik on a sort of 24 hour trip to see the killer whales. I'm sure it is the coldest place I have ever been and I'm not normally one to feel the cold. I can remember trying to video the whales when we were on the fjord but had trouble moving my thumbs. A great trip though, plus it started snowing a well and looked very pretty.

Unfortunately the boat trip was cut short due to one of the passengers swimming in the fjord and suffering hypothermia. We were taken back to a hotel and given a free meal which was nice. I remember thinking there wasn't much meat on my pork chop, then realising it was actually whale blubber.

As the plane took off to come back, we were told that the Northern lights were visible on the left side of the plane but unfortunately we were sitting on the right.
good job you didnt all rush to that side of the plane.
You sure it wasnt Whale meat, dont think it wpild be Blubber, but whale meat is eaten quite a lot, not a bit like fish, more like beef but tougher.
Pork is one of the best meats in Norway, thats one thing that England cant match.

Bit stupid someone swimming in the Fjord, much too cold unless you are in a wet suit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top