Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 06:14 PM

Re: Walter Palmer (the killing of Cecil the lion)

Macolm,
if you spy a cat roaming at large in your neighbourhood ...
knowing that it is very likely to maim and torture every small reptile, bird or little furry creature that it comes across,
what do you do ?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 06:20 PM

Feed it like I feed around seven feral cats that visit my house every morning, I also feed the birds and any other creatures like the ducks and geese on my local pond!
What do you do ?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 06:31 PM

I don't think you want to know, Malcolm.

But given that most marauding, introduced feral cats will eat between 5 and 15 native species in any 24-hour period - plus all those they torture just for fun -
Your seven ferals could easily rip to pieces 100 small creatures every single night - 700 per week - 35,000 a year.

I cannot understand how any true animal-lover could be party to such carnage.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 06:38 PM

I know you trigger happy Aussies like to shoot and kill all your wildlife but thankfully in this country we do things differently !
Pumicestone
Australia

10-08-2015, 07:17 PM

I've never owned or fired a gun in my life, Malcolm.

But fair dinkum, which would be better, destroy 7 feral cats or LET them torture and kill many thousands of small creatures ?

Seriously ?
Pumicestone
Australia

11-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I know you trigger happy Aussies like to shoot and kill all your wildlife but thankfully in this country we do things differently !
Nope, most of us like to protect our native wildlife from the unnatural predation of introduced cats (mainly by British settlers in the early 19th Century).
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

11-08-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Nope, most of us like to protect our native wildlife.
Like dingos and kangaroos ? Shot and killed for sport by you wildlife protectors !
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Like dingos and kangaroos ? Shot and killed for sport by you wildlife protectors !
Not sure about sport Malcolm.

When I was over there last year I did a heli ride over Uluru. I looked down expecting to see hundreds of wild kangaroos...when I asked where they all were our guide told me that many of them had been culled.
Hundreds of thousands, I forget the actual number but it was absolutely staggering.
Apparently the native people had protested but the gov had gone ahead anyway.
I did see and photograph 2 wild dingoes!
Pumicestone
Australia

11-08-2015, 04:34 PM

I'm afraid your ignorance is showing, Malcolm.

Rarely for sport - but because in both cases ("dingos" and roos), their numbers have exploded into plague proportions which threaten the environment and the sustainability of other species.

Dingoes have bred with wild dogs.
They kill sheep, calves, goats, pigs, other native species and even the occasional child !

There are far, far, far more kangaroos in this country than there are people.

Even the millions of predatory feral cats cannot slaughter quite enough joeys to control the numbers.
Although, they do wreak havoc on koalas and a whole heap endangered birds and other creatures.
Pumicestone
Australia

11-08-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
...I looked down expecting to see hundreds of wild kangaroos...
I did see and photograph 2 wild dingoes!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-0...rn-qld/5997970
"Kangaroo populations are "out of control" in western Queensland and in numbers not seen before, local graziers say."
"The problem is out of control and never seen roos like this before.
We've just got to get control of them.
There will be no grazing left if we don't do something about it."

You won't see too many dingoes in the daytime. They are nocturnal hunters.

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top