Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 09:25 AM

Re: Woman discriminated against for accent

Terrible thing to have happened, because I am Northern Irish I came under fire for my accent in guess where England, was invited to a dinner party, one of the other guests made fun of me all night, eventually not to be rude since this was the host's friend, I left it happens.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't let that bother me Jean, I think the Northern Ireland accent is one of the best accents around, I love the sound of it.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 01:59 PM

OMG how weird people are. OK if you go abroad and don't bother to learn the language that is one thing but an accent, that should be a thing to enjoy. I lived in New York for 8 years and still remained a cockney Londoner and the New York people loved it as I loved their way of talking. I did have to learn how to say eighteen with a 'd' sound as people thought I was saying eighty and in the bakery I worked in that was awkward.

Funny thing is that as the world gets smaller we are all beginning to sound the same and the colourful accent is disappearing.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 04:52 PM

I like accents but I hate slovenly speaking, its just laziness. I was having a test a couple of years ago in hospital, the one where the sun dont shine jobby, and the consultant asked me when I had left Manchester, I replied72 years ago, and he said yes you still have the accent. I have to say I am not Corry accented!
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I wouldn't let that bother me Jean, I think the Northern Ireland accent is one of the best accents around, I love the sound of it.

thanks
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 11:44 PM

Not that many of the corrie characters are from Manchester. Most are from Greater Manchester, their is a difference in all their accents.
miki's mum
Perth Western Australia
miki's mum is female  miki's mum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2011, 03:14 AM

I love people's accents! I like the almost musical lilt of the Irish, the different accents of people from the UK, the Scots have a (to me) unique way of pronunciation, which I wish sometimes I could replicate.! I find Canadians quite close to UK accents, but have learnt slowly over the years to differentiate! Accents are one of the parts of the rich tapestry of the world!! I really do enjoy listening to commentators when he who must be obeyed is watching golf or EPL or cricket!
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2011, 09:14 AM

My Accent is pure Scots and I wouldn't try to alter it for anyone. If they didn't like it then too bad. It's high time people accepted we are all different and quit being so stupid. We are what we are....end of Story.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top