Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Gallstones

Just back from the doctor and he says I have gallstones. flippin heck and double blimey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will someone tell me what to eat as he says NO fats NO spicey flippin heck and double blimey sod it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to have a scan but I feel rotten and in pain anyone else ever had this little gemstone of an illness.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Re: Gallstones

My Mother had this years ago Cate and they operated and removed them. Have they suggested surgery at all as it was a relatively straightforward operation and after a period of rest she was as right as rain. I don't recall them ever suggesting a change in diet but it was a long time ago.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 03:40 PM

So far the doctor has only said he thinks that is whats wrong and he is sending me for a scan. It appears that the treatment depends on the size of the bloomin things. I am not even fair, fat and forty. I just want to know why I feel so ill and will it last, he has given me tramadol as pain killers but I still feel really tired and so run down.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Cate,

I'm no expert on gallstones but I do know that sometimes they can be dissolved with tablets and if not I understand it's not a complicated operation to have them removed.

I hope you soon feel better. Sorry I can't advise about a special diet but Netdoctor is a good site to look at.

Kath xx
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

21-08-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks Kath, I shall have a look. I am quite large and worry about having an operation particularly after having the hysterectomy last year. You know I have been so healthy all of my life now its coming to get me.
Eggiebread
Bristol, UK
Eggiebread is female  Eggiebread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Hello Cate and lordy I know exactly how you are feeling. I had the same trouble some years ago out of the blue and I also wasn't fair fat and forty.
My background is nursing so let me explain the procedure to you.

They will do what is called an Ultrasound scan (cold jelly over your liver area} and then run an instrument similar to the one they scan pregnant mums with over that area.
Based on what they find they will make a decision about what treatment is best for you. These days that most often involves keyhole surgery, much less uncomfortable that the old style abdominal incision.
Some people have just one stone in the gall bladder, other have lots that may be grit like in nature. What causes your pain is that when you eat, the gall bladder is unable to release the enzymes its creates into your stomach because the stone or stones are blocking the duct it flows through.
They will not operate on you whilst the area is so inflamed, ie whilst you are suffering an attack. They will treat you with painkillers first.
\My advice to you is this:Certain foods will trigger an attack of cholecystitis...(thats when you get that dreadful pain)..the foods generally considered to do this are fatty foods and spicy foods. Avoid fried food (grill instead). Drink plenty of water. Eat little and often. I found cucumber aggravated mine...but then I always was a bit strange.
If the pain becomes more than you can bear (it is said there is no worse pain that that of choleycystitis and having been on the recieving end I'm inclined to agree) go back to your GP and tell him your current medication is not working.
I hope that helps you at least a little.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

21-08-2012, 05:30 PM

Thank you so much Eggie, I have eaten a lot of fat during the past week. Fish and chips on the beach, homemade chilli followed by my cousins cream and fresh fruit cake (my birfday). Chicken with suet dumplings again followed by the rest of the cake and chocolate covered brazils. Usually I don't eat so fatty and at the moment I am afraid to eat anything except shreddied wheat!!!!!!!

I have tramadol to take for the cholecystitis, cocodamol and amiltryptiline for the arthritis. Soon I shall be so pain free I shall be seeing little green men doing somersaults at the end of the bed. (wow I quite like that idea)
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 05:34 PM

Cate darlin' - Tramadol??? - ergh yuk!! - they made me very sick and am nowm allergic to them. Better analgesics are Oromorph (liquid morphine) and Zapain (Paracetamol and Codeine).

As to operation, no not personally but Dragon (my late Mother) had a gall stone operation back in 2000. As others have said - after recovery she was fine. I should add that that Dragon was 78 at the time.

It is possible that instead of surgery per se, they could zap the Gall stone with an ultra sound gun which breaks up the stone into grit particles which will then be expelled in the usual way.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

21-08-2012, 05:53 PM

You lot as usual have surpassed yourselves with helpfulness. When in douabt ask the OFF pepople you know the advice here is worth a mint.

Thank you all for helpful knowledge which has perked me up no end.
Eggiebread
Bristol, UK
Eggiebread is female  Eggiebread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 05:55 PM

Trial and error Cate. Make sure you sip that water throughout the day, (all those painkillers will make you thirsty anyway), and try small amounts of different foods frequently. You'll soon figure out what works for you. Glad to be of some help.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top