Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 04:55 PM

Re: The TV license.

Originally Posted by carol ->
I had a letter come this morning reminding me that we hadn't paid our TV license.

We don't get pension credits or any other benefit that makes us exempt from paying it. I know this but still I haven't paid it!

I'm wondering what they will do to me if I carry on refusing?

Have you paid yours?
You get to watch free TV Carol !!!
In PRISON !! LOL!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍👍
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
In PRISON !! LOL!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍👍
Yes, and forced to watch BBC News 24.

People are a lot better at digging their heels in about not paying the TV licence than I am ..but then I'm not sure I want to stop watching BBC programmes anyway, so the licence gets paid. Just another of life's expenses.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 05:36 PM

In PRISON !! LOL!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍👍
It would make good publicity wouldn't it?

The license is in Tony's name.

I don't think they'd put an old man with Alzheimer's in jail for not paying his TV license.

Why can't we have basic TV's who rely on advertising to pay? We could be charged extra for the BBC if we want it - just like we do for Sky & Netfix. That would be much fairer.

I have had two reminders now. I still can't bring myself to pay it. Perhaps I'll wait & see what happens next!!

Seriously though. What do you think will happen if I don't pay it?
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
No. I've told them politely to sod off. I signed a declaration at the end of May (renewal due date) to say that I no longer watch or record live TV nor watch the iPlayer service where you can watch recycled BBC crap.

I seldom watch TV so it came as no hardship but I did recently buy an Amazon Firestick to watch Amazon's streaming service and catch-up TV none of which you require a licence for. It hasn't stopped the BBC STASI from sending me six reminders (straight into the green bin) and a visit from one of their paid intimidators whom I told that I didn't need a licence.
Me too, I had a letter in response after stating that I don’t watch the BBC stating that they would be getting back to me in two years time.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
It would make good publicity wouldn't it?

The license is in Tony's name.

I don't think they'd put an old man with Alzheimer's in jail for not paying his TV license.

Why can't we have basic TV's who rely on advertising to pay? We could be charged extra for the BBC if we want it - just like we do for Sky & Netfix. That would be much fairer.

I have had two reminders now. I still can't bring myself to pay it. Perhaps I'll wait & see what happens next!!

Seriously though. What do you think will happen if I don't pay it?
Well if tey dont nick you Carol, then they will attempt to fine you?
(probably abou £10,000) and if you dont have any money they will
claim goods to the value of your debt??
Not good advertising l agree !!
I plan to smash the TV and give to them when they call round !!

Donkeyman! 😢😢
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

06-11-2020, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Yes, and forced to watch BBC News 24.

People are a lot better at digging their heels in about not paying the TV licence than I am ..but then I'm not sure I want to stop watching BBC programmes anyway, so the licence gets paid. Just another of life's expenses.
Is that whats called poetic justice mart??

Donkeyman! 😇😇
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 06:00 PM

I am the same as Shropshiregirl. I don’t want to be on the wrong side of the law. I wouldn’t be able to face my family if I had to admit to being done for not paying my licence. It is taken out each quarter by DD and I don’t miss it. As Swim says, it is what it is.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 06:13 PM

Well if tey dont nick you Carol, then they will attempt to fine you?
(probably abou £10,000) and if you dont have any money they will
claim goods to the value of your debt??
Not good advertising l agree !!
I plan to smash the TV and give to them when they call round !!

Donkeyman! 😢😢
The maximum fine is £1000
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 06:17 PM

I don't think it's something to be ashamed of. It's a matter of principle to me.

If it led to any publicity I don't think I'd be the one coming out shame faced!!

However I am concerned about a fine. I would naturally refuse to pay the fine & therefore be threatened with prison (I thought)

However it seems they have the power to take your fine directly from your benefits. In my case I guess they would take it out of my pension...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 06:17 PM

I don’t watch much TV but Mr Mags does so we pay it for his enjoyment and it keeps him happy. .

It came as a shock when they stopped the free licence for us but in fairness we can probably afford to pay it more than some other people.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top