Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 12:24 PM

Re: Greedy Royalty!!!

Well at I guess I would say his contribution has been well worth it. Probably much more so than the people who criticise him.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 12:39 PM

What exactly has been his contribution and why do think it is worth so much ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Another example of the greedy, grasping of Mrs Windsor and her brood!!!
Joe, me old pal, me old beauty.

Your job is to keep Her Majesty, the Queen of Australia in the style to which she has grown accustomed and to ensure that she enjoys her lot in England so much that she never thinks of leaving. It is not your job to whinge about it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Joe, me old pal, me old beauty.

Your job is to keep Her Majesty, the Queen of Australia in the style to which she has grown accustomed and to ensure that she enjoys her lot in England so much that she never thinks of leaving. It is not your job to whinge about it.

Pass me the guillotine - then tell me I don't have a right to whinge!!!
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What exactly has been his contribution and why do think it is worth so much ?
His contribution is that the last 60 odd years he stood by the Queen supporting her in her role as monarch and doing a pretty good job of it. He gave up a career in the Navy to do so. In addition he helped to found a charity (the Duke of Edinburgh awards) which has been responsible for developing over the years for doing much good work with UK children teaching them self-reliance and independence.
He has attended and by doing so helped publicise a great many charity functions whereas if it had a choice I'm sure he would have preferred to stay at home and watch TV. In addition the Royal family is tracked many a great many tourists to this country are resulting in many millions of pounds in revenue. Revenue that no doubt would have to be found from the taxpayer. I could go on but I have a feeling I'm, as we say, flogging a dead horse.
Tell me, as a matter of interest, why would someone who gives their residence as a Caribbean island be complaining about a member of the British Royal family and their cost ultimately to the British taxpayer? Do you pay tax in this country?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
His contribution is that the last 60 odd years he stood by the Queen supporting her in her role as monarch and doing a pretty good job of it. He gave up a career in the Navy to do so.
Hmmm lets thinks - naval career or queens consort ?
It was his choice and quite a premeditated choice that he made aided and abetted by his Uncle Mountbatten.
Its a no brainer .
A navy career compared with being consort to the most influential monarch on the planet, Moreover the man has more military titles . honorary commissions and medals ( most of which are complete unearned than just about any man in the country.

In addition he helped to found a charity (the Duke of Edinburgh awards) which has been responsible for developing over the years for doing much good work with UK children teaching them self-reliance and independence.
Ok i will give him that one

He has attended and by doing so helped publicise a great many charity functions whereas if it had a choice I'm sure he would have preferred to stay at home and watch TV.

At £359 k pa and several rent free palatial residences i should darn well think so . Royals allow themselves to be patrons of charities but other people do the work in them .

In addition the Royal family is tracked many a great many tourists to this country are resulting in many millions of pounds in revenue.
This old chestnut has been disproved so many times already but here goes again.
They do not attract tourists - the palaces and historic sites attract tourists. No one comes to the Uk hoping to have tea with her madge. France attracts many more tourists than the UK and they haven't has a monarchy for 130 years, Versailles is the biggest tourist attraction in Europe far surpassing Windsor castle and Buckingham palace.

Revenue that no doubt would have to be found from the taxpayer. I could go on but I have a feeling I'm, as we say, flogging a dead horse. /
This horse is very much alive and kicking.
The taxpayers do fund the royals a ridiculous situation where ordinary people contribute to the upkeep of one of the richest families in the world.

Tell me, as a matter of interest, why would someone who gives their residence as a Caribbean island be complaining about a member of the British Royal family and their cost ultimately to the British taxpayer? Do you pay tax in this country?
I will answer this question although i consider it both personal and impertinent beside having nothing to do with the topic . I don't give a Caribbean Island as my 'residence' - I am just here for the time being
I am a UK resident and as a UK resident I pay tax .
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK

05-02-2016, 06:39 PM

Well I'm pretty sure whatever I say isn't going to change your mind and I am not inclined to get into a drawn out argument. In the end it is a matter of opinion.
As for my impertinence... I'm afraid you'll have to excuse me. I'm not used to dealing with people higher up the social scale. It was kind of you to answer the question of a mere peasant.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 06:54 PM

Don"t forget he went "playing about" several times in the fifties Helene Cordell [night club singer]was mentioned
Also what about that trip he took with "forget who" for several months.
He"s also had "friendships with "penny, whatever her second name is" whilst he was doing the pony trap riding.
TBF he has been an old philanderer, the only thing that has stopped him is old age . Can"t wait to see the back of him.
Reading back over my post it sounds quite harsh, but there you go. We surfs sometimes don"t feel like doffing our caps.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
If you have to ask a question like that, then I wonder where you've been for the last sixty odd years.
Working!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 07:18 PM

God Save The Queen.

She's a star:

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top