Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 09:57 AM

Re: Do i matter. ? (The local elections May 5th)

Only have police and crime thingy round here. Not had any information though, just the polling cards. We have a mayor, they get chosen by the council, it's been that way for centuries.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 10:02 AM

we have a vote to, for the new Police commissioner, never heard of any of them, and wont be voting either.
we have Labour in at the moment they took over from Fib Dems. also have UKIP and Tory.
but we only get leaflets from Lab, & Fib.
our council tax went up by a colossal amount this year.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
He does look a bit shifty, doesn't he? Please don't deport him to my colony.
Do you need any more Gallahs?
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Different story up here in my part of Scotland Nom. I have never seen so many campaign leaflets come through the letterbox.

Its the same here in South West Scotand .
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Nom, if they used PR to elect governments they would make a lot more effort to win your vote, because that system is fairer...... that is why the two largest parties don't want to use PR.
We have a mixture of both up here in Scotland. We get two ballot papers. One for one of the 73 candidates and the second for a party. From the second vote 56 regional MSP's are selected which I think is wide open to cronyism and nepotism. I prefer to know who I am voting for.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Just the commissioner to be contested here in South Yorkshire. I have always believed It's just another tier of bureaucracy without a real purpose other than to fleece money out of the electorate. And here in South Yorkshire it would take 'Superman' to dig South Yorkshire Police out of the deep excreta they appear to find themselves in since the Hillsborough Inquiry the Rotherham sex scandal and their tussle with the miners at Orgreave back in the eighties. So unless the candidate wears his underpants on the outside of his long johns the job might only be temporary.
But when a leaflet with the purple pound sign of UKIP dropped through my door I have decided to vote. I will vote for anything UKIP....
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 11:59 AM

Oh spoke too soon one from labour dropped on the mat this morning, poor exploited worker having to deliver on a bank holiday. And its from my neighbor ex deputy mayor, telling me about all the affordable homes he had built. Must be invisible ass all i see is top whack little boxes that are made out of ticky tacky and they all deliver top rate council tax.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just the commissioner to be contested here in South Yorkshire. I have always believed It's just another tier of bureaucracy without a real purpose other than to fleece money out of the electorate.
Of course. I've never seen any purpose in Police Commissioners. The police are already accountable without yet another waste of public money.

I do feel that our current electoral system in flawed and heavily in favour of the two 'main' parties. My vote (UKIP) certainly doesn't count around here, as it is only the Tories and the Limp Dems who take it in turns to run the show in this area. Nevertheless, that is who I will continue to vote for. At least, when the votes are counted, my vote will add to the numbers which might just encourage others to vote for UKIP when the next GE comes along.

Perhaps one day we might be offered a referendum on PR.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 01:23 PM

We've received 3 ballot papers - the local election, the Police Commissioner (2 votes) and the Mayor (2 votes).

I felt like I was doing 'Spot the Ball'
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 02:46 PM

Three of our police commissioner candidates are boasting of having had careers in the police force and have been/are local politicians as if that's some kind of recommendation. From two occupations mired in sleaze to another `jobs for the boys` occupation.

The remaining candidate is a member of the English Democrats - think I'll vote for her just for a bit of devilment.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top