Join for free
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2017, 11:54 PM

Re: GP Surgeries

Originally Posted by Mups ->
We are also only allowed a ten minute appointment now Meg.
There is not always time to explain things and talk properly in that time. I always feel they are only half listening because they have one eye on the clock.
We are only alllowed 10 minutes too and one condition, you can't mention more than one it has to have a separate appointment.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2017, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Seems to me the local Dentist has more than a Full Time Job.
I think there are two or three Dentists in the practice and they're on a rota, it's the only way they could work it really.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 12:00 AM

Apparently there does seem to be a large number of 'tea and sympathy' visitors to my local GP especially on a Monday, these being elderly ladies possibly divorced or widowed. I wonder if anyone has done any stats on that?

Maybe a return to the old District Nurse days might reduce GP's workload ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
We are only alllowed 10 minutes too and one condition, you can't mention more than one it has to have a separate appointment.

That's it, it the same here. So if you have 2 or three things you want to discuss you have go through the whole rigmaroll of trying to book in again and again.

It does make me wonder whether that is why they write so many prescriptions, because it's quicker and less time consuming.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 12:20 AM

I've just found out this doesn't apply for Wales only England.

We're governed by the Welsh Assembly.

Disappointed is an under statement.

The worst thing in the world, a earache starting on a Friday evening with the prospect of out of hours on Saturday, its the pits man, the pits.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 12:23 AM

Why can't they work at the weekends ?
Other people do.
As a child we always went to the local GPS evening surgery so as not to miss school or work .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've just been listening to the late news and it seems Theresa May wants GP surgeries to be open 7 days a week and from 8am - 8pm. If they refuse, she will refuse further funding for them.
She reckons it will ease the strain on the A&E departments.

The doctors aren't going to like that idea, but I do agree that some people go to A & E because there is nowhere else open to get help.

What do you think? Is it a good idea for GP's to be open more, or not?
Excellent idea, but where are we going to get all the extra doctors we'll need?

Oh, hang on. No, it's OK. There are, apparently, lots and lots of doctors in amongst the present stream of migrants from Europe. At least, that's what I've heard.

Our existing doctors could work longer hours to cover, I suppose, but I'm sure there must be some health and safety consideration about working hours.
60fox
London
60fox is male  60fox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 04:35 AM

Yep, Doctors should be open longer hours and its been on the cards for a while now. When you see all new car park lighting and walkway lighting being fitted as I have at our Docs, you know into the dark hours is where GP Surgeries are heading.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 09:22 AM

This is a subject I could talk for hours about but still not come up with an answer. I attend a Primary Care Clinic, which is a bit like a very small hospital but only opens for normal doctors hours. We have at least 20 GP's and you can see a doc fairly quickly, when you need one, so it works well but over the last 25 years I can see it still doesn't answer the needs. here are a few reasons:-

1) We all rush to the doctors when a little common sense and a knowledgeable pharmacist could help ( but pharmacists are all under pressure because their employers are trying to save money on staff).

2) A & E departments have a name that says what they are there for, but we all put different interpretations in what accidents and emergencies are!

3) GP's are now under pressure to stick to the 10 min appointment, and doing this may mean a wrong diagnosis resulting in wrong care.

4) Some old folks do need tea and sympathy, but loneliness is the first step in the road to poor health. A nurse, who is paid less than a GP, can often help here.... but these nurses are doing a lot of jobs that doctors used to do, so there aren't enough of them.

I could go further on these problems, but the basis is that the NHS cannot manage on the money they have, to provide the service we want... so we pay more or expect less.
You can't buy £100 of groceries for £10, so we can either pay for the best and demand we get what we want, or settle for a lower standard of treatment.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Apparently there does seem to be a large number of 'tea and sympathy' visitors to my local GP especially on a Monday, these being elderly ladies possibly divorced or widowed. I wonder if anyone has done any stats on that?
No at my doctors there aren't, if you ring for an appointment you are triaged by a nurse and only get an appointment that day if you are considered 'an emergency' otherwise you could have a three week wait by which time people could be better or dead .

I book my appointments online and can usually get an appointment within a week if I don't mind seeing 'just anybody' who knows nothing about me other than a hurried look at my notes before I go in.

My sister was sent to her local hospital yesterday in great pain for ultrasound and an internal examination. The doctor found the problem and said he would write to her GP but meantime she should contact her surgery to book an appointment with them ASAP. As soon as she got home she rang and explained the situation was given an appointment for 6th February She said that was not acceptable and she eventually got an appointment for Monday.

Things are getting ridiculous. One bank holiday two years ago when my GP was closed for three days I had a bad chest infection (I have an existing chest condition) and was struggling to breath. I was reluctant to go to A&E and sit there for 5 hours with the drunks throwing up around me. The other option was driving to a primary care center 10 miles away in a run down part of the city I avoid and where I would be lucky to park and keep my car tyres to see some unknown doctor so I stayed home and had a nightmare few days.

Years ago when doctors practices were small there was always a local doctor on call and you could just turn up at a surgery and wait and you would be seen.

Thing have got bigger but not better, it is not wise to be ill in many places these days.

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top