Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:23 AM

Re: What do think about michael Buerk

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The NHS together with all Benefits are paid for by the tax payers in the current tax year.

There is no pot. What we paid in taxes last year or all the way back to 1948 has been spent.

If the taxes that a person pays is less than the burden that they place on the exchequer then someone else is paying for them.
Not entirely true.

https://fullfact.org/health/how-nhs-funded/

In 2017/18, around £110 billion was spent on the NHS England budget. Including things like hospitals, public health initiatives, education training and IT, the cost was £125 billion.

This is paid for mainly through general taxation, and National Insurance contributions from employees, employers and the self-employed.

General taxation funds about 80% of the budget, and National Insurance contributions cover most of the rest. Total NI contributions to the NHS in 2017/18 were estimated to be just under £24 billion, which is just under 20% of the total budget.

A small amount of cash is generated by patient charges, like those for prescriptions and dental care, which were introduced in the 1950s. In 2016/17, £555 million was charged for prescriptions in England. In total, £1.6 billion was collected in patient charges in 2016/17.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Not entirely true.

https://fullfact.org/health/how-nhs-funded/
NI is now included in general taxation.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Thanks Floydy. This a very involved subject as you will know and being ignorant of the facts is, I reckon, due to lack of education in the whole subject. After going on an NHS sponsored course, so as to avoid me continuing to where I would have been Type 2 diabetic, I learned so much, in fact everything needed to lose 10kg and no longer being at risk of diabetes. Nobody ever taught me about food, how our bodies process food etc. There is also the element of manufacturers putting too much sugar in food – 29 teaspoons of it in a box of a well-known brand of cereal! What's that all about and why on earth is that considered 'necessary'? Well, sugar is a drug to our bodies to crave more as it works on the 'comfort' and 'pleasure' parts of our brains. That, some would cynically say, and I am one of them, is quite simply to ensure we buy more of that particular product.

The other element in all this, as you say, is just more exercise. This has been missing from the lives of youngsters since schools seemed to concentrate more on academia rather than physical exercise and that being part of the curriculum. Modern lifestyles, as mentioned in my post, do not make exercise naturally part of our lives nowadays. I could go on at some length about this after what I learned but that's about all, for now anyway.
Spot on mate, and it's very untimely to mention the amount of sugar (and salt) which is added to food. Why can't everything be 'organic' and the manufacturers leave it up to us whether or not we want to add sugar or salt to our food?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Not entirely true.
There is still no pot though Omah, it's financed on a year by year basis, and if there is a shortfall (which there generally is) money is borrowed, hence the 'National debt'..
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Spot on mate, and it's very untimely to mention the amount of sugar (and salt) which is added to food. Why can't everything be 'organic' and the manufacturers leave it up to us whether or not we want to add sugar or salt to our food?
Yes, that would be the ideal but I doubt that will happen, if it ever does the progress will be very slow I believe. In which case it's up to each one of us to restrict the foods we eat that do contain too much sugar or salt. This can be accomplished by eating foods that are produced as near to nature as possible. Those products which we do wish to consume but know contain sugar and salt, can be checked out before purchase with a free app. for the mobile phone (Easy Scan & Sugar Smart). You scan the bar code on each product and then receive the amounts of sugar, salt and saturated fat contained, this also uses the 'traffic light' system.

It's also helpful to find out about labelling of food products. The information required as to sugar, salt and saturated fat in that product is all there. As a guide always check the amounts per 100g, that is on all products so gives a definite way of comparison. All supermarkets also have to have details of the content of all foods they sell. These are also on all supermarket online shopping websites, usually just click on the product and you will get a list of all these.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
There is still no pot though Omah, it's financed on a year by year basis, and if there is a shortfall (which there generally is) money is borrowed, hence the 'National debt'..
I don't believe I mentioned "pot" nor was it included in the linked quote .....

The following is "not entirely true":

The NHS together with all Benefits are paid for by the tax payers in the current tax year.
As you have pointed out "if there is a shortfall (which there generally is) money is borrowed".

If the taxes that a person pays is less than the burden that they place on the exchequer then someone else is paying for them.
I have no idea what this means in relation to funding the NHS or anything else - "a person", "burden", "someone else", "them" - must be a conspiracy theory .....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:32 AM

The 'traffic light' system is indeed a very good guideline, Baz which I use all the time if I'm not too sure about the content of food I'm buying, though being quite au fait with my food I usually have some idea without looking at it.
And so much for the government always warning us of the obesity crisis and the NHS burden when they could do so much more in stopping the manufacturers adding so much crap to our food. One basic step is to make healthy food cheaper. How can it be that food with more additives costs more than that without? It should be the other way around!

*Edited to add*:
Baz, if you get time (and maybe you've seen it) watch this TV programme called 'The Honest Supermarket' which the BBC showed recently. It's very good.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:37 AM

I don't believe I mentioned "pot" .....

There is no pot. What we paid in taxes last year or all the way back to 1948 has been spent.

No Omah, you didn't but the point that Todger was making was that people who claim to have paid into the NHS all their lives is irrelevant because that would have been spent in the year it was collected. Be it Tax or NI.

Although he mentioned that the money was collected through taxes, he didn't suggest that it was the only subscription to the NHS and in my opinion was correct with his statement above...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

No Omah, you didn't but the point that Todger was making was that people who claim to have paid into the NHS all their lives is irrelevant because that would have been spent in the year it was collected. Be it Tax or NI.

Although he mentioned that the money was collected through taxes, he didn't suggest that it was the only subscription to the NHS and in my opinion was correct with his statement above...
I disagree .....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
The 'traffic light' system is indeed a very good guideline, Baz which I use all the time if I'm not too sure about the content of food I'm buying, though being quite au fait with my food I usually have some idea without looking at it.
And so much for the government always warning us of the obesity crisis and the NHS burden when they could do so much more in stopping the manufacturers adding so much crap to our food. One basic step is to make healthy food cheaper. How can it be that food with more additives costs more than that without? It should be the other way around!

*Edited to add*:
Baz, if you get time (and maybe you've seen it) watch this TV programme called 'The Honest Supermarket' which the BBC showed recently. It's very good.
When I first had to find out about food, by necessity, the apps. I found very useful as they give an immediate readout of salt, sugar and saturated fat contained. That's also then available as a list to which you can refer at any time without rescanning the product.

Yes, it's all there as to why some people are unhealthy. The foods we eat are not as they should be with regard to excess sugar and salt, this with less exercise causes obesity which then goes on to cause diabetes which then has a part in heart problems. It's all connected. As you have said we need food without all these additives so that it can be left to the individual to choose. Plus I believe there is a need for food education from health nutritionists.

Thanks for the video, I have seen some of this before but will watch it later today.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top