Join for free
Page 5 of 15 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2013, 06:19 PM

Re: Flu Injection!

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Yes indeed flu viruses are constantly changing, therefore the vaccines are changing.
Mutating viruses i.e the strain that is ikely to 'hit' us each season are predicted and the vaccine is developed for use.
That's how our nurse explained it to us.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2013, 06:30 PM

Our CDC (Center for DIsease Control) in Atlanta does a pretty good job of mixing a cocktail of predicted strains for the year. Once in a while a strain hits that was not predicted, but for the most part people are glad they had the vaccine.

I hear all sorts of reasons people give for NOT having the vaccine.. for example... they believe it GIVES them the flu.... or they always get sick when they get the shot. It is not possible to get the flu from the vaccine, as it is produced with viral componants... not the virus itself. You MAY get a sore lump at the injection site... but that's about it. Or people say they will just take their chances because they never get sick. To that I say... one bout of the flu will make you clammor for the vaccine next year.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I hear all sorts of reasons people give for NOT having the vaccine.. for example... they believe it GIVES them the flu.... or they always get sick when they get the shot. It is not possible to get the flu from the vaccine, as it is produced with viral componants... not the virus itself. You MAY get a sore lump at the injection site... but that's about it. Or people say they will just take their chances because they never get sick. To that I say... one bout of the flu will make you clammor for the vaccine next year.
I agree with you Audrey11.

There are so many myths surrounding the flu vaccine.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2013, 08:58 PM

I am due to have the vaccine for the first time this year.
So it was good to hear the different opinions. I will certainly be having it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2013, 11:13 PM

I've had flu several times: pffft, never again!!! You want to die so you stop suffering.

One year I was at work in London and starting feeling ill in the morning, progressively getting worse by the hour, so told my boss I was going home. By the afternoon I was lying on my mattress on the floor (don't know why I did that!) sobbing with the pains in my legs. Yup. I'd got the flu and of course was ill for several weeks.

I have the jab every year.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Just read this conclusion of a Cochrane review of the flu jab. Cochrane reviews are considered by many to be gold standard. Makes interesting reading...

"Authors of this review assessed all trials that compared vaccinated people with unvaccinated people. The combined results of these trials showed that under ideal conditions (vaccine completely matching circulating viral configuration) 33 healthy adults need to be vaccinated to avoid one set of influenza symptoms. In average conditions (partially matching vaccine) 100 people need to be vaccinated to avoid one set of influenza symptoms. Vaccine use did not affect the number of people hospitalised or working days lost, but caused one case of Guillian-Barré syndrome (a major neurological condition leading to paralysis) for every one million vaccinations. Our results may be an optimistic estimate because company-sponsored influenza vaccines trials tend to produce results favorable to their products and some of the evidence comes from trials carried out in ideal viral circulation and matching conditions and because the harms evidence base is limited.." ( in healthy adults)
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 03:17 PM

I've never had one....
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 09:06 PM

I have them every year, will be going in the next week for mine.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 09:31 PM

I received my flu invitation today, phoned the surgery and I'm now booked in for 12th October
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I received my flu invitation today, phoned the surgery and I'm now booked in for 12th October
I booked mine today also on the 12th Mags

Page 5 of 15 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top