Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 10:21 PM

Has anybody had a blind dog?

Henry is almost totally blind now, seeing only movement and very close objects.

He's now started walking around non-stop(padding?)
He goes outside for a couple of seconds then straight back in.
Round and round he goes, he's doing my head in as I can't shut the French Windows in case he needs to toilet.

He's using the garden now as walks worry him too much.
Edvard
New Member!
Essex UK
Edvard is male 

16-07-2016, 11:00 PM

Re: Has anybody had a blind dog?

My brother had a border collie that went blind. They let him bash into doors and such. I thought it was so cruel.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Edvard ->
My brother had a border collie that went blind. They let him bash into doors and such. I thought it was so cruel.
Animals adjust to their surroundings very quickly, it's hard wired survival.

He doesn't bang into things unless I put something where it shouldn't be.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 11:08 PM

Have you spoken to the vet? They do adapt to blindness
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 11:13 PM

I had a blind Cocker Spaniel called Kelly, she managed fine as long as furniture was not moved around.
My neighbour has a blind Whippet aged 15, you would not know she was blind .

Sight isn't as important for dogs as it is for us, their hearing and scent is much better than ours and can help to compensate for lost sight. They also have the little whiskers on their muzzles called vibrissae which they use to sense things around them, they can help prevent the dog walking into things if it walks slowly.

If you call a blind dog and make a continuous clicking noise or clap it will find it easier for it to locate you.
Practice doing this with a high value treat (like a morsel of chicken) when the dog comes to reinforce the wanted behaviour
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

16-07-2016, 11:22 PM

He's also deaf
The blindness doesn't seem to bother him, he still has his playful moments and is very tactile, nibbling and holding my hand in his mouth(massive jaws but so gentle).

It's the constant padding around, almost restless that worries me.
My Gran had a dog that did this but small circles, it was sinility
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
He's also deaf
The blindness doesn't seem to bother him, he still has his playful moments and is very tactile, nibbling and holding my hand in his mouth(massive jaws but so gentle).

He just needs reassurance. Henry will be fine
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 11:30 PM

This is disturbing behaviour how old is Henry ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
He's also deaf

He may not be totally deaf but has a degree of CCD (canine cognitive dysfunction) which means he hears sounds differently to the way he once did so no longer recognise them. It can also cause restlessness.
Try clapping, he may be able to pick up the vibrations. If you clap near to him and he responds reward the behaviour with a high-value treat and practice doing it a number of times always rewarding him. Gradually increase the distance to detemine the range he can detect
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

16-07-2016, 11:38 PM

One of my dogs had Amy had CCD. Once familiar sounds made her fearful and she could no longer distinguish day from night.
I could hear her padding around at night and she used to come to me and cry for attention
I knew she didn't want to go out because she had a dog door and was always very clean.

I used to get up with her for 10 minutes then settle her down in her bed again. Broken sleep was a small price to pay for 16 years of devoted companionship

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top