Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Re: Tomatoes

I have to admit I prefer sowing the seed and growing the plants to actually eating the tomatoes! Having said that, I cleared out all the ripe tomatoes from the greenhouse today and OH and I made a batch of tomato sauce for things like pasta, pizza etc. Got a few more that should ripen in the next few days and then some green ones for chutney and it will all be over for another year.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Sorry it wasn't a good year for you, Angie. Mine have the blight, so will probably pull them out tomorrow. Luckily I have some still that Chris brought, and can pick up locally grown ones for a while at the Farmers market. I refuse to eat "Winter tomatoes". Did you get a lot of jars of sauce?
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Had a look at the varieties I have, they're.

Money Maker,
Totem,
Gardeners Delight,
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 01:18 PM

A word about the tomato plague, I noticed a few weeks ago some of the leaves were turning greyish, this spread to the stems which resulted in some the fruits dying, I cut the offending parts off and it seems to have done the trick.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 05:00 PM

Have you had a lot of damp weather? That could be powdery mildew. My experience with the blight is that the leaves yellow, dry up and drop.
nero
Central Scotland

10-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Have you had a lot of damp weather? That could be powdery mildew. My experience with the blight is that the leaves yellow, dry uo and drop.
No it wasn't mildew DM, the affected parts were hard an brittle, I suspect it's a virus of some sort, never seen it before.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

10-10-2009, 08:31 PM

That's a new one to me; all we need, another tomato virus!
nero
Central Scotland

20-10-2009, 11:40 AM

The toms are ripening slowwwwly, I've tasted some and they're very nice, there's still a lot of greenies though, I hope they'll ripen off before the frosts.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 11:45 AM

If the frosts are forecast and there's no chance of your toms ripening outside, pull 'em up and hang 'em upside down in a frost free place (?shed) Some of them will turn red over the following weeks. And remember the banana skin trick
nero
Central Scotland

20-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
If the frosts are forecast and there's no chance of your toms ripening outside, pull 'em up and hang 'em upside down in a frost free place (?shed) Some of them will turn red over the following weeks. And remember the banana skin trick
I tried that to no avail DM, I put 2 banana skins in a bowl and left some toms in it for 2 weeks but nothing happened.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top