Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 12:56 PM

How are YOU!

Scenario One – What Actually Happens

Stranger : How Are YOU!

Me: I’m fine

Stranger: Now about that snake oil that I am going to persuade you to buy…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario Two – What I Would Like To happen

Stranger : How Are YOU!

Me: You know, I find that question really irritating.

Stranger: Could you tell me why?

Me: Yes, I’ll try to explain. Firstly would I be right in thinking that you are not a doctor?

Stranger No, I am not a doctor.

Me: Right. Now like most people I have a number of real concerns regarding my health. Now why on earth would I want to discuss them with a complete stranger who is not medically qualified?

Stranger: I don’t understand why you are talking like this. Nobody else does.

Me: Oh I know what people usually do. They pretend everything is fine even when it isn’t. I do understand that this is the case.

But what I don’t understand why you imagine that I would feel well-disposed towards you when you have just submitted me to this meaningless charade.

Stranger: I am sorry that you feel like that. (Goes away looking for another mug to try and bamboozle,)
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 01:00 PM

Re: How are YOU!

I get what you are saying there Mr. Magoo - cant stand salesmen anyway ....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Oh dear Quincy I think it is called 'making polite conversation' .
If it annoys you there is always the option of being a would be recluse like me and on meeting people rushing away with a grunt and a smile before any conversation is required.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 01:24 PM

I know how you feel Quincy, hang in there, I get it every day at the door and in the pub, you'll get used to it and it'll just flow off you.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Oh dear Quincy I think it is called 'making polite conversation' .
If it annoys you there is always the option of being a would be recluse like me and on meeting people rushing away with a grunt and a smile before any conversation is required.
Yes but - salesmen always start off that way don't they .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Yes but - salesmen always start off that way don't they .....
Do they I don't usually give people the opportunity to say enough to gage it they are salesmen, I am long gone,
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Do they I don't usually give people the opportunity to say enough to gage it they are salesmen, I am long gone,
As soon as they say 'Good morning - and how are you'
I look at their eyes and see the £ signs - and with my special look, I'm gone too
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 03:01 PM

I like the Salesmen who come to the door NOT trying to sell me something, it goes, Doorbell rings, I answer, caller says good morning, I say good morning "what are you not trying to sell me"
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

04-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I like the Salesmen who come to the door NOT trying to sell me something, it goes, Doorbell rings, I answer, caller says good morning, I say good morning "what are you not trying to sell me"
Paul where are all these people, no one ever comes to my door trying to sell things .

There is always the 'towel technique' which I have used in the past for persistent people of a religious persuasion .
..grab a towel and wrap it around your head,
..go to an upstairs window and fling it open announcing to those below that you have just got out of the shower and can't speak to anyone
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 03:15 PM

They come round here quite often, we have great fun, me trying not to buy what they are trying not to sell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top