Join for free
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 11:24 AM

My Christmas Sixty Years Ago

My National Service lasted from August 1953 to August 1955. During that period I experienced two very different Christmas Days.

The 1953 Christmas was spent at home. I had found rather to my surprise that in peace time the Army was minded to allow this to everyone who had a home to go to. By 25 December 1954 this was no longer possible because by then I was stationed in Singapore – very much still a British colony. Travel home was not a serious possibility. Air travel was still rare and extremely expensive. The only way of getting there (and back) was on a troopship. This journey took well over three weeks. As a result out of my 104 weeks in the Army something close to seven weeks was spent at sea.

So it was in the Far East that I took part in an army Christmas tradition. The officers and senior NCOs served Christmas Dinner with all the trimmings to the privates and corporals. As a sergeant I was one of those serving the meal. If I remember correctly my task was to keep people’s glasses filled – looking to see if anyone’s glass was nearly empty and then moving over to top it up. I have a memory of a very young soldier bemused at having been given the principal place with a paper hat on his head. I would imagine that he was the youngest soldier present.

When it was over all the Warrant Officers and Sergeants repaired to the Officers Mess for drinks. This was the only occasion on which I entered that exclusive place. After that we returned to the Sergeants Mess for our own Christmas Dinner served by our Chinese waiters.

The following day everything went back to normal and I was again saluting the men who had been my ‘fellow-servants’ on the previous day.

Any other memories of Christmas Past?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Re: My Christmas Sixty Years Ago

Lovely memory there
My favourite was when I was fostered, the Father was a real dad, he dressed as Santa to come into the bedroom and leave a present for each of us, he knew full well we were peeping from under the covers - I didn't know family life like this, so it was very special to spend Christmas with them and I will 'never' forget ........
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 11:33 AM

I distinctly remember the Sunday school Christmas party. The lights would be dimmed. There were the sound of "sleigh bells" in the distance, then Santa would appear. I still feel that atmosphere now.

Good story MM. Lots of memories
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 12:54 PM

My christmas of 1963 i was 10 years old i was one of 5 children and baby no 6 was due any day ,mum and dad had separated in the November ,Dad had sent mum a postal order each week for food but the one for Christmas week did not arrive.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
My christmas of 1963 i was 10 years old i was one of 5 children and baby no 6 was due any day ,mum and dad had separated in the November ,Dad had sent mum a postal order each week for food but the one for Christmas week did not arrive.
Aww Eliza. I can only begin to imagine how difficult it must have been for you all. No wonder you remember it, for all the wrong reasons .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top