Join for free
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 11:05 AM

Two Cheers for Classic FM

Please don’t get me wrong. I quite like Classic FM. I listen to it almost every day. Even so, there are three ways in which it could be really better as far as I am concerned.

Firstly the commercials are a real drag. I realise that they pay for the thing but they have a jarring effect on my listening. They tend to contain trite slogans almost entirely devoid of any real meaning. For example ‘finding you the home that you deserve’ when they are just flogging the same properties as anyone else.

My second grouse concerns blurring the distinction between classical music and the sort of stuff that everyone else is pushing out. They call it ‘crossover’ and I can’t see the point of doing it. Soundtracks of films do not count as classical in my opinion.

My biggest complaint is the limited selection of music that is played. There is far too much of the same pieces of music by the same composers played far too frequently. The stress on favourites is quite misplaced in my opinion. If I hear them too often they don’t feel like favourites to me.

I know that I am not asking for the impossible. On my iPod I can listen to a Swiss station on the Internet. It is called ‘Radio Swiss Classic.’ There are absolutely no commercials. There is no chat. Each piece is simply identified by naming it, the composer, the orchestra and the soloists. They never play tunes from the ‘movies.’

The repertoire is much more varied. In addition to the famous composers on Classic FM’s list there are lots of others that I haven’t heard of. They really are good. The famous ones also have composed less well known works that Classic FM ignores but Radio Swiss also plays. These three elements are well mixed together.

Is there a drawback to this station? I am sorry to say that you might find it so because all the announcements about the music are made in German. It doesn’t worry me because up to the age of eight that is the only language that I knew.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 11:14 AM

Re: Two Cheers for Classic FM

Hi Quincy I used to love Classic FM but it seemed to get very 'samey' for me too and the advertisements were annoying.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 12:03 PM

A timed mute button would be handy on the remote and not beyond the wit of modern man. You could just press it when the ads came on, and then it would time out (to your settings) and bring back the programme. It´ll never happen though will it? Too useful, and not in the spirit of our consumer ¨society¨.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 01:39 PM

I agree, it does get a bit much - especially the adverts. The crossover stuff is on a lot, too. Also, every so often, they have a kind of 'next best thing' where they really push a particular artist, in the past it's been Katherine Jenkins, Hayley Westenra, Paul Potts and Alfie Boe - speaks volumes, really!
For me Radio 3 is far too highbrow - we really need something in between..
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 02:10 PM

I call it Classic Soundbite FM. Never hear the work in full, and they keep playing the same old krap. BBC R3 is aping them, and I have become frustrated with their in-house advertising..

I listen to ABC in Oz - no ads and sensible coherent presenters. Try it at:

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/stations...live?play=true
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2015, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I agree, it does get a bit much - especially the adverts. The crossover stuff is on a lot, too. Also, every so often, they have a kind of 'next best thing' where they really push a particular artist, in the past it's been Katherine Jenkins, Hayley Westenra, Paul Potts and Alfie Boe - speaks volumes, really!
For me Radio 3 is far too highbrow - we really need something in between..
I agree with you about ClassicFM.
However I've been listening to Radio3 a lot more lately and it's far more accessible than it used to be!
Some purists hate it and say it's been dumbed down, but I like it and find it much more friendly and if appeals to a wider audience then good... (which is why the purists hate the changes, I guess)
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 07:47 AM

Yes, here in OZ we are really lucky with our Classic FM - no ads, regular full length recorded live concerts, interesting programs such as The Opera Show, Keys to Music (talks on various aspects of music), weekly focus on a particular composer (called On the Pedestal). I'd definitely give it a try now it's possible to stream digital radio from overseas.

However, like everywhere the gov't is threatening to cur its funds! Philistines!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top