Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 11:07 AM

Fremasonry

I have been marginally interested in Freemasonry – why people go in for it and how influential it is in high places within business and politics. I reckon that some people greatly enjoy membership of a secret organisation. I never felt the slightest urge to belong.

On Saturday I received various bits of bumf form the Old Boys Association of the Grammar School that I attended in the 1940s. To my great surprise this included a couple of pages about a Lodge consisting of people, past and present, associated with the school as pupils or teachers. Apparently the headmaster during my time there was a Senior Warden of this Lodge. I would never have guessed it at the time.

The article was openly inviting people to consider joining stressing its charitable purpose. I had previously thought that people were individually approached to join. I assume that this now was an act of desperation owing to a dearth of members.

I am still of the opinion that people who join are unlikely to be genuinely motivated by charitable motives. I shall not be taking up this offer.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 11:12 AM

Re: Fremasonry

My ex brother - in - law was one. He's an a'hole!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 11:38 AM

Sssshhh.... are we supposed to discuss this..

eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Freemasons were the founding fathers of America. There are symbolic Freemason images in many places in America. I think the importance of being a member of a so called secret society is learning more about who you are in relationship with your God. It is that understanding that makes a member want to serve philanthropically with their fellow man.

Of course, there are bad apples in all walks of life and the few who join for the power or the economic relationship they seek to acquire, end up falling sooner or later from their ranks
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 12:28 PM

I knew a man who was a FM his wife used to joke about the sheepskin apron he wore which their dog got hold of and savaged to death
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I knew a man who was a FM his wife used to joke about the sheepskin apron he wore which their dog got hold of and savaged to death
Lot of things people know little about and its that lack of knowledge that brings about laughter. The apron Freemason's wear represents service and thats what a true Freemason seeks to acheive.. his selfless service to humanity.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=eyes_of_a_painter;769083]Lot of things people know little about and its that lack of knowledge that brings about laughter. The apron Freemason's wear represents service and thats what a true Freemason seeks to acheive.. his selfless service to humanity.[/QUOTE]

BS!!! - Masons are one of the most self-serving institutions in the world.
eyes_of_a_painter
n

14-12-2015, 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=Uncle Joe;769085]
Originally Posted by eyes_of_a_painter ->
Lot of things people know little about and its that lack of knowledge that brings about laughter. The apron Freemason's wear represents service and thats what a true Freemason seeks to acheive.. his selfless service to humanity.[/QUOTE]

BS!!! - Masons are one of the most self-serving institutions in the world.
I respect your opinion sir.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 01:11 PM

Five of my male close relatives are/were Masons. Dunno how I know this. They are/were decent guys, very generous and with good community spirit.
I don't hold truck with secret societies, or as it was put to me "A society of secrets"
I was never invited to join.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 01:16 PM

They run our market town, years go it was the Quakers.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top