Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 02:15 AM

Re: Rationing Certain Goods.

Woolworths has limited customers to two packs of bog rolls.

Only three 1.2kg packets of Weetbix left today but I was able to panic buy a six pack of Aussie Fruit Hot Cross Buns.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 02:50 AM

This panic buying, or profiteering, seems to be limited to other countries. I went grocery shopping today, in the U.S., and I made a point of checking out the shelves of anti-bacterial hand wash and also toilet paper. The shelves were fully stocked.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Because 99% of the deaths are caused by the bacterial pneumonia caught as a result of the weakened immune system.
How will anti bacterial soap help? The pneumonia is caused by what the virus does to the lungs.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 07:36 AM

Hot soapy water and proper hand washing do the job just as well!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 09:27 AM

There is absolutely no need for bacterial wipes or sanitizing hand gel, simply use surgical spirit and the effect will be exactly the same at a fraction of the price. I use it and via a piece of kitchen towel roll in a poly bag in my pocked when I'm out and about.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 09:55 AM

Typically viruses are more resistant to disinfectants than bacteria, but coronavirus is an enveloped virus, so it has an outer membrane formed of oil and fat. All enveloped viruses are very susceptible to soaps and detergents, which explode the outer membranes, rendering them ineffective. Alcohol can also effectively attack the structure. The NHS and Public Health England both agree that to kill most viruses, a hand sanitiser needs at least 60% alcohol content – with most containing 60-95%. However, hand sanitisers won’t get rid of certain types of germs, dirt and chemicals, whereas soap will, which is why hand-washing is preferred.
Metro newspaper two days ago
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Well hopefully this will stop them in their tracks. I saw bottles of Dettol Antibacterial Shower Gel on Ebay the other day at 11quid a bottle........shame on them.
I know of someone who bought one.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Reports on the news this morning of sanitiser being sold at £100 per bottle.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Antibacterial stuff kills 99.9 % of bacteria .....not virus’s .....so why are people buying these ?
Dettol surface wipes claim they kill the corona viruses although I'm not certain about the Covid-19 strain as it says its not yet available for testing. Hopefully it is.

So now everyone go buy your dettol but save me some LOL

https://www.dettol.co.uk/about-us/un...g-coronavirus/
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:14 AM

I'm hearing from friends and family that the cheaper shops Poundland etc. have toilet rolls, wipes and gels. Hopefully the less well off can get them without having the better off clearing the shelves.
I wonder if Waitrose has had panic buying or whether it would be unseemly!

I'm off to Aldi to do my normal grocery shopping, hopefully they'll have some of their lovely Rustic Malted bread left and pet food!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top