Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 11:04 AM

Re: The cost of flood and storm damage …

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Hey guys come on over. It is said that there is still gold in them thar hills. ..
I would love to go detecting over there keezoy, I never miss an episode of 'Aussie Gold Hunters' The good weather (I love the heat) and the solitude of the outback. Someone once said "The English have a love of desolate places"...
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I would love to go detecting over there keezoy, I never miss an episode of 'Aussie Gold Hunters' The good weather (I love the heat) and the solitude of the outback. Someone once said "The English have a love of desolate places"...
Yes I believe that. Opposites attract maybe?..England is so relentlessly green with it's gentle rolling hills and valleys and pretty, manicured little villages, quaint cottage lined and gentle country lanes. The light is so soft, the colours are too and the sky is pale. Maybe the outback attracts Brits because it is so big. I would never call it "desolate" though. It is vibrant. The colours are dazzling and strong and the sky is huge. The light is so bright it is blinding, sharp and hot. IT also has an eerie, otherworldly atmosphere sometimes. I love it out there too and I'm as Australian as a kangaroo sitting in the back of a Holden ute with a tinny and a pie (No cork hat though, They are a myth for tourists) You know how the sound of a lone set of pipes resounding from the mist of a Scottish Glen can make you shiver sometimes?..Well the sound of a lone didge growling through the gums along with the insects and birds has the same effect on me. It sends a chill up my spine. You never know what you are going to come across out there. So come and see what I mean. There may be a nugget out there with your name on it. And the natives (us) are usually very friendly. There's plenty of cities if you like the city life.
Sydney is what it is but Melbourne is the coolest city in the country. They are both great to visit. But the desert is like nowhere else.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 11:10 AM

Round here, a lot of the flooding damage is down to allowing building to be done on "Flood Planes".

Flood Planes are so called because they FLOOD!

Perhaps, in the future, buyers will stay away from these Flood Plane "floating" houses and, maybe, avoid buying homes close to rivers which have been known to flood before.

I still cannot imagine why councils give planning permission to build there.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Surely, if a council allows a builder to build on a flood plane, or known riverside area, then that council should be held responsible for any cost should flooding happen?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Round here, a lot of the flooding damage is down to allowing building to be done on "Flood Planes".

Flood Planes are so called because they FLOOD!

Perhaps, in the future, buyers will stay away from these Flood Plane "floating" houses and, maybe, avoid buying homes close to rivers which have been known to flood before.

I still cannot imagine why councils give planning permission to build there.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Surely, if a council allows a builder to build on a flood plane, or known riverside area, then that council should be held responsible for any cost should flooding happen?
Extra council tax receipts, perhaps? Or is that the cynic in me coming out to play?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 05:37 PM

Yes I believe that. Opposites attract maybe?..England is so relentlessly green with it's gentle rolling hills and valleys and pretty, manicured little villages, quaint cottage lined and gentle country lanes. The light is so soft, the colours are too and the sky is pale. Maybe the outback attracts Brits because it is so big. I would never call it "desolate" though. It is vibrant. The colours are dazzling and strong and the sky is huge. The light is so bright it is blinding, sharp and hot. IT also has an eerie, otherworldly atmosphere sometimes. I love it out there too and I'm as Australian as a kangaroo sitting in the back of a Holden ute with a tinny and a pie (No cork hat though, They are a myth for tourists) You know how the sound of a lone set of pipes resounding from the mist of a Scottish Glen can make you shiver sometimes?..Well the sound of a lone didge growling through the gums along with the insects and birds has the same effect on me. It sends a chill up my spine. You never know what you are going to come across out there. So come and see what I mean. There may be a nugget out there with your name on it. And the natives (us) are usually very friendly. There's plenty of cities if you like the city life.
Sydney is what it is but Melbourne is the coolest city in the country. They are both great to visit. But the desert is like nowhere else.
What a brilliant description of both Australia and England keezoy...
I've spent a lot of time running and walking out in the wildspaces of Britain, the windswept craggy moors and fells, and on a nice sunny windless day I have witnessed the eerie, otherworldly atmosphere that you speak of, with just the haunting sound of a faraway grouse. With no man made objects in sight you could be the only person left on the planet, and I suspect the great outback would provide the same peace and tranquility.....

I may never get to experience the great outback keezoy, but you can rest assured that if I ever have the privilege to visit Aus I would certainly like to meet up....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-03-2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Extra council tax receipts, perhaps? Or is that the cynic in me coming out to play?
I believe you are correct Percy, for each new property built round here provides the council with at least a grand in council tax. I think they are trying to replace all the lost rents after they sold off all the council houses.

Flooding here can be attributed to work been done upstream in Sheffield and Rotherham, it's just sent more water down the river to flood somewhere else....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 10:42 PM

I've spent a lot of time running and walking out in the wildspaces of Britain, the windswept craggy moors and fells, and on a nice sunny windless day I have witnessed the eerie, otherworldly atmosphere that you speak of, with just the haunting sound of a faraway grouse. With no man made objects in sight you could be the only person left on the planet, and I suspect the great outback would provide the same peace and tranquility.....

I may never get to experience the great outback keezoy, but you can rest assured that if I ever have the privilege to visit Aus I would certainly like to meet up....
Not even a Dry Stone Wall?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 12:42 AM

Never say never mate. And you would be totally welcome to visit. We'll show you some of the sights of Sydney and then you can go and experience what's out there. The other big cities like Melbourne and Gold Coast are great to visit. The Barrier Reef is a must of course Of course. Then there's Uluru, Kimberley, Kakadu and the other popular outback places to see but I would advise strongly against going anywhere alone. All the stories about deadly creatures and places are true. You can still enjoy the solitude. An experienced guide will respect that but still have your back.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-03-2020, 08:41 AM

[/I][/B]

Never say never mate. And you would be totally welcome to visit. We'll show you some of the sights of Sydney and then you can go and experience what's out there. The other big cities like Melbourne and Gold Coast are great to visit. The Barrier Reef is a must of course Of course. Then there's Uluru, Kimberley, Kakadu and the other popular outback places to see but I would advise strongly against going anywhere alone. All the stories about deadly creatures and places are true. You can still enjoy the solitude. An experienced guide will respect that but still have your back.
Good advice keezoy, Thanks....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 09:56 AM

[/I][/B]

We came over for a month last November Keezoy, what a fantastic country you have there. Sydney harbour was possibly the most beautiful place that I have ever seen, wherever you look there is a glorious view. Melbourne we weren't that keen on, a completely different vibe but we did enjoy panning for gold at Ballarat, and the seaside town of Geelong was great. Didn't make it as far as the Gold Coast or the Barrier Reef, but maybe next time...when we've saved up for a year or two..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top