Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 10:24 AM

Re: The cost of flood and storm damage …

5 years ago I went with a friend to stay with her family for a month . Adelaide. What a smashing place to live. The city so clean and cosmopolitan. In that whole month I never saw filth or rubbish on any pavement or thrown to the side of the road. In the city it was spotless and people so friendly . I loved the trams too . Of course a month was not long enough but given the chance and if my family came I'd leave England in a moment and move to Adelade .

Speaking with someone from Australia recently I was surprised to hear from him that there is resentment from Australians towards immigrants regarding jobs so that could be uncomfortable . It may be false information of course .

I loved Australia, the sun each day , the lifestyle .
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We came over for a month last November Keezoy, what a fantastic country you have there. Sydney harbour was possibly the most beautiful place that I have ever seen, wherever you look there is a glorious view. Melbourne we weren't that keen on, a completely different vibe but we did enjoy panning for gold at Ballarat, and the seaside town of Geelong was great. Didn't make it as far as the Gold Coast or the Barrier Reef, but maybe next time...when we've saved up for a year or two..
That's nice to hear. Yes I've been to a few places in the world. They all have their good and bad points. BUt all in all we are pretty lucky. ON a sunny day Sydney is hard to beat yes. Melbourne has a more spectacular skyline but generally it doesn't have the picturesqueness of Sydney. IT's just a big city. You have to spend a bit of time there and it grows on you.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
5 years ago I went with a friend to stay with her family for a month . Adelaide. What a smashing place to live. The city so clean and cosmopolitan. In that whole month I never saw filth or rubbish on any pavement or thrown to the side of the road. In the city it was spotless and people so friendly . I loved the trams too . Of course a month was not long enough but given the chance and if my family came I'd leave England in a moment and move to Adelade .

Speaking with someone from Australia recently I was surprised to hear from him that there is resentment from Australians towards immigrants regarding jobs so that could be uncomfortable . It may be false information of course .

Adelaide is a nice city for sure. It's the smallest mainland capital but it does have a lot of style. It's also the hottest. Did you get to Perth?..It's a lot bigger than Adelaide and it gets the sea breeze in summer. I spent my early years living there.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->

That's a bit rich.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:56 AM

More bleedin' rain - heavy too. Just as the floods in the valleys were receding, they're back again.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
More bleedin' rain - heavy too. Just as the floods in the valleys were receding, they're back again.
Oh dear, something else to worry about
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

I heard on the weather you were likely to cop it tonight Judsy.
Think tomorrow is going to be better though.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I heard on the weather you were likely to cop it tonight Judsy.
Think tomorrow is going to be better though.
And copping it we are. I'm okay in one respect that as I'm on top of a hill and taking the brunt of the strong winds and heavy rain, at least I won't be flooded. At best, the garden, having a clay soil will puddle and be waterlogged but other than that, not much to worry about. I feel sorry for the poor sods that have only just cleaned up the mess from the last floods.

I know you shouldn't laugh, but my local Lidl in Mirfield is next to a huge field that was at least three feet deep in water. There is a sign there saying that new `luxury homes` were going to be built there. Strikes me that someone in the Kirklees council planning department has taken a back-hander.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 09:52 AM

It's like that in Silsden Judd...just near Skipton....half the estate is already built but the sign luxury homes to be built here soon stands in about 3ft of flood water....maybe they will rethink building there....then again maybe not.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Adelaide is a nice city for sure. It's the smallest mainland capital but it does have a lot of style. It's also the hottest. Did you get to Perth?..It's a lot bigger than Adelaide and it gets the sea breeze in summer. I spent my early years living there.

I didnt go to Perth keezoy . I'll never get the chance to visit again but it's a place I would have loved to have lived

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top