Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Re: Going into a home

I have to back FlowerPot up on this one, the 7 years is a myth

You can not give away your home to avoid nursing care costs

Age Uk Explain it pretty well
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...ion-of-assets/
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
The 7 year rule is a myth I’m afraid Tarantula. There is a seven year rule but it applies to Inheritance Tax not giving your home away.
We checked out what we did with our solicitor. Besides which our daughter has put some money into the property as well.

Anyway we shouldn't need to sell a property to pay for the cost of a nursing home, I think there is probably enough in the kitty.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
We checked out what we did with our solicitor. Besides which our daughter has put some money into the property as well.

Anyway we shouldn't need to sell a property to pay for the cost of a nursing home, I think there is probably enough in the kitty.
Funny how your story now changes.

I still stand by what I said, that the seven year rule is a myth.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 05:08 PM

If you give away your home you cannot stay living in it for free.
If you do it will be a "gift with reservation " and it will fall into your estate for inheritance tax and nursing home fees etc
In order that it is regarded as a true gift you have to pay a market rent for the property .
Still I think that local councils will take back properties if they feel they have been given away to avoid nursing home fees.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Funny how your story now changes.

I still stand by what I said, that the seven year rule is a myth.
I trust our solicitor more than I would trust you.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I trust our solicitor more than I would trust you.
Fair enough but what about others on here who agree with me? Nobody has actually said they agree with you.

Are you sure you understand what you think the solicitor told you?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 08:42 PM

If the council deem you have given away assets to secure free elderly care, they will asses the home at the days market value and use that to charge you for your elderly care

it doesn't matter how long ago you "gifted " the house

They will say you have the value of the house and will charge accordingly

And heres a question, why should I or my family as tax payers pay for your care so as you can gift a house to your children???
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

19-08-2018, 09:20 PM

For anybody who is interested, heres another useful link.

https://www.clivebarwell.co.uk/avoid...e-deprivation/
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
If the council deem you have given away assets to secure free elderly care, they will asses the home at the days market value and use that to charge you for your elderly care

it doesn't matter how long ago you "gifted " the house

They will say you have the value of the house and will charge accordingly

And heres a question, why should I or my family as tax payers pay for your care so as you can gift a house to your children???

Hi missy , I see your point and but there is another side too . Those of us who paid a mortgage to own our own home wanted that security for us and our kids future , yet here is the other side , those who have lived in subsidised council or social housing will be cared for for even though they may have had a higher income during their life without the worry of mortgage and home repair bills etc .
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

21-08-2018, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Hi missy , I see your point and but there is another side too . Those of us who paid a mortgage to own our own home wanted that security for us and our kids future , yet here is the other side , those who have lived in subsidised council or social housing will be cared for for even though they may have had a higher income during their life without the worry of mortgage and home repair bills etc .
And then there are those in between. . My parents lived in a council house for about 30 years and Dad always worked. By the time they had paid their rent and clothed and fed us there was no money left over to save and they certainly could not have afforded a mortgage.

My Uncle died and left my Dad £10,000 and Dad was able to buy the house at a large discount from the counci but as he said he had bought it over and over again anyway during those 30 years! The house cost £11,500.

After my Dad died Mum lived there alone until two years ago when she started having lots of falls and was diagnosed with Alzheimers. She had hardly any money in the bank but she did own her house and we have had to sell that to pay for her care home fees. I still feel very sad thinking about how my Dad was so proud he was a houseowner at last and how his children would get something when they died as he had never had anything from his mother and he never knew who his father was. I think there are a lot of people in a similar position.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top