Join for free
Page 11 of 25 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 03:29 PM

Re: Barnier Issues Ultimatum!

I see today that "some EU envoys" are asking - basically - that the UK submit to their demands to relinquish sovereignty.

"One EU envoy later said substantial differences remained at the talks."
Yes, now that sounds more like it.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKBN28D0RR
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I see today that "some EU envoys" are asking - basically - that the UK submit to their demands to relinquish sovereignty.

"One EU envoy later said substantial differences remained at the talks."
Yes, now that sounds more like it.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKBN28D0RR
“We’ve reached a point where we are so close to the limits of our mandate that we need a movement on the side of the UK if we want to strike a deal.”

They are desperately trying to suggest that they have made all the concessions and are now waiting for the UK to reciprocate!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
“We’ve reached a point where we are so close to the limits of our mandate that we need a movement on the side of the UK if we want to strike a deal.”

They are desperately trying to suggest that they have made all the concessions and are now waiting for the UK to reciprocate!
Yup, hence my LOL.

I know that we mere plebs are kept like mushrooms, but if the EU do not shift on the areas relating to impinging on our sovereignty then any concession which they think they are making is nothing more than a pointless gesture.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Yup, hence my LOL.

I know that we mere plebs are kept like mushrooms, but if the EU do not shift on the areas relating to impinging on our sovereignty then any concession which they think they are making is nothing more than a pointless gesture.
You mean they have made some concessions?

What were they?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 04:29 PM

The way the Euro is going up and up in value, their exports are screwed anyway. The EU economy is contracting and no amount of QE is helping.

Tariffs won't mean a thing when the Euro is so high compared to Sterling and the Dollar. People simply won't pay the high price of exports from the Eurozone.

For a block that relies on its trade surplus, this is really, really bad news for the Eurozone, especially when it already has negative interest rates, a budget thats blocked by Hungary and Poland and the UK, it's second biggest net contributor walking out the door.

Can't say I'll loose any sleep though.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You mean they have made some concessions?

What were they?
I don't know about concessions but the Micron has stated France will possibly/probably/could/might/perhaps veto any deal that comes out of the tunnel and Barnier is after fishing rights within 6-12 miles of the UK.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/globa...-feels-strains

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-Barnier-Frost
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 05:46 PM

So much for the banks leaving the UK and all that guff.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKBN28D2B7
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-12-2020, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I don't know about concessions but the Micron has stated France will possibly/probably/could/might/perhaps veto any deal that comes out of the tunnel and Barnier is after fishing rights within 6-12 miles of the UK.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/globa...-feels-strains

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-Barnier-Frost
Sounds to me like one of two possible outcomes:

- the UK leaves the EU without a deal and keeps all our fishing areas;

- Boris hands some of our fishing areas, even as close as 6 miles out, and loses the next general election to Nigel.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
My I remind you what you wrote.

Just because the vote to become a republic was defeated does not mean the vote never happened.

"When did Australia ever vote to become a republic??

Certainly not in 1999 or indeed any year. Why would we want to? We have a head of state that costs us nothing because you people pay for her and who has absolutely no effect on our democracy (Yes, we are a democracy which elects both houses of our Parliament unlike a certain European country)
Thank you for reminding me.

Perhaps it is your failure to grasp the difference between "voting to" become something, "voting against" becoming something and having a "vote on" becoming something that is why Brexit has taken five years and why Mr Barnier is tearing his hair out about your inability to come to any agreement after this time period.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 11:31 PM

Let them eat Fish.

Page 11 of 25 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top