Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 07:02 PM

Re: 999 Ambulance.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi
Since December 23 last year I have needed them 4 times

You must be “ worn out”...I hope you are taking things easy.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Crikey,Baz, did you actually know you were having a heart attack?....down a motorway?....good grief!

You were also lucky that you survived those two motorcycle accidents, they usually end up fatal!.
No, I didn't realise. In fact I just felt unwell so stopped off at the next junction, sat in the car for a while and decided I couldn't continue with the remaining 45 miles of my 65-mile drive. I telephoned my customers explaining I was unwell. Then I drove 20 miles home, still just feeling unwell I made a cup of tea, put some washing on then thought I should phone my GP who immediately sent a 999 paramedic followed by an ambulance. Just over a week in hospital and after many injections and an angiogram I was discharged.

All I had in the past was high blood pressure, that was successfully treated with medication. At that time my GP warned me that if I felt something like a very heavy weight in the middle of my chest or pain in my jaw or neck, radiating down my arms then that was a heart attack and to phone 999.

I had none of those symptoms and neither did around 10 other male patients in the hospital for the same problem. It seems that often not all the traditionally expected symptoms are present but it can still be a heart attack. During the angiogram it was very strange lying there awake watching my own heart on a screen showing all the arteries, a really weird experience, see link if interested:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...ests/angiogram

The motorcycle accidents were survived due to always wearing a crash helmet, not legally required in those days but I always wore one. Just as well as it happens or I wouldn't be here today.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
No, I didn't realise. In fact I just felt unwell so stopped off at the next junction, sat in the car for a while and decided I couldn't continue with the remaining 45 miles of my 65-mile drive. I telephoned my customers explaining I was unwell. Then I drove 20 miles home, still just feeling unwell I made a cup of tea, put some washing on then thought I should phone my GP who immediately sent a 999 paramedic followed by an ambulance. Just over a week in hospital and after many injections and an angiogram I was discharged.

All I had in the past was high blood pressure, that was successfully treated with medication. At that time my GP warned me that if I felt something like a very heavy weight in the middle of my chest or pain in my jaw or neck, radiating down my arms then that was a heart attack and to phone 999.

I had none of those symptoms and neither did around 10 other male patients in the hospital for the same problem. It seems that often not all the traditionally expected symptoms are present but it can still be a heart attack.

The motorcycle accidents were survived due to always wearing a crash helmet, not legally required in those days but I always wore one. Just as well as it happens or I wouldn't be here today.

Thanks for explaining,Baz, my taxi driver told me exactly the same thing about heart attack symptoms....he had terrible pain down one of his arms ,it wouldn’t go away, apparently he was having a heart attack...he had stent put in.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 07:49 PM

No, not me, but my late Mother needed one when she had a fall, when I was there, years ago & later my late OH when he had a heart attack.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 08:02 PM

Have you ever needed one in an emergency?
I have. Had an accident on my bike. Fell on a new, smooth, steep stretch of road. I woke up with the ambulance and a crowd of onlookers......

I foolishly, declined the ambulance - I was determined to get to my office to support a loyal customer. Get the drawings out, a few calls, and the job was fixed. By then I was in serious pain so I asked for an ambulance. None available. Well, it was about 11 pm on a Saturday. So I walked to the hospital. I got repairs done, dislocated shoulder, and things.

I got back home after about 2:00 am.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

10-02-2021, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
No, not me, but my late Mother needed one when she had a fall, when I was there, years ago & later my late OH when he had a heart attack.
I’m hearing “ heart attack” a few times on here,Tiff, very scary,

God job you were there, when your late mother had that nasty fall.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

10-02-2021, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I have. Had an accident on my bike. Fell on a new, smooth, steep stretch of road. I woke up with the ambulance and a crowd of onlookers......

I foolishly, declined the ambulance - I was determined to get to my office to support a loyal customer. Get the drawings out, a few calls, and the job was fixed. By then I was in serious pain so I asked for an ambulance. None available. Well, it was about 11 pm on a Saturday. So I walked to the hospital. I got repairs done, dislocated shoulder, and things.

I got back home after about 2:00 am.

Ouch!!.....putting others before yourself it seems, it could have been much worse , Besoeker,...I’m glad it worked out for you though,
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 08:57 PM

Hi

The only definitive method of proving a heart attack is s blood test for troponin.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 10:01 PM

3 times.
Once aged 10
Once aged 60 something
Once 7 months ago.
Sorry, not giving any details though
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 10:19 PM

Have you ever needed one in an emergency?

Yes, just last week.

Not keen in going on about it, though.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top