Join for free
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 01:32 PM

What I've been up to

As many of you know I usually show myself on the forum a couple of times each day. However, I had some devastating news towards the end of March that my husband has Motor Neurone Disease I did open a thread to tell people, I always think of the OFF as a place to unwind and I will get some good replies and then I can rewind and get back to life again.

However, not content with this awful news, I fell and broke my hip. After six days in hospital, I am home with gadgets that allow me to move around the bungalow, look after myself and prepare some easy meals and drinks.

I know you will have noticed that I haven't been around but all is now tiggity boo again and although I have a problem getting into the room where the puter lives, (a bloomin step) I shall try to visit and let you know how I get on.

Anyone who has had hip replacements please leave comments and any tips for a good result in getting over this.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 01:45 PM

Re: What I've been up to

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
As many of you know I usually show myself on the forum a couple of times each day. However, I had some devastating news towards the end of March that my husband has Motor Neurone Disease I did open a thread to tell people, I always think of the OFF as a place to unwind and I will get some good replies and then I can rewind and get back to life again.

However, not content with this awful news, I fell and broke my hip. After six days in hospital, I am home with gadgets that allow me to move around the bungalow, look after myself and prepare some easy meals and drinks.

I know you will have noticed that I haven't been around but all is now tiggity boo again and although I have a problem getting into the room where the puter lives, (a bloomin step) I shall try to visit and let you know how I get on.

Anyone who has had hip replacements please leave comments and any tips for a good result in getting over this.

Cate darlin' - my sympathies. As an 'old hand' at hip replacements (I've had three) I know most of the pitfalls. It'll take at least 3 MONTHS to get back to any semblance of normality and don't go try overdoing it merely because you feel better (you'll have good and bad days).

There's lots of equipment you can buy to make your life a little easier - check out www.helpinghand.co.uk for some of that - things like a gripper to pick things up off the floor, (this also helps me to dress) a long-handled shoe horn, a Soxon, to enable you to put socks on etc, etc.

If your hospital is 'on the ball' they will have arranged visits to you at home of Physio-terrorists and you'll have been given a whole long list of exercises to do to strengthen your thigh muscles again. I know they'll be painful, but I promise, the more of these you can do now, the better and quicker you'll be fully mended again.

If there is something specific you want information on or need just to chat - then please do - pm me if you want to discuss off the forum.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Hello Cate
What a devastating time for you, life is just so unfair at times......
A lady here had the hips done, she walked the corridors using her sticks - a couple of times a day, apparently its important to get mobile as soon as possible. Boy, did she do well, you wouldn't know she had them replaced.
I noticed you weren't here and was gonna pm you, but I know you have friends here and felt a bit awkward about it, but you have been in my thoughts daily.
Wish you a speedy recovery and hope you and Hubs are coping .......x
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 03:36 PM

So sorry you are having a rotten time lately no experience of hip replacements but really hope you feel better soon !
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 04:08 PM

Hi Cate,

I am very sorry to hear of your news, what with your husband and now you. I share your sympathy with you. I have not had any hip replacements yet, but I do feel sorry for people who have. Let's hope that things get better for you. Love, Susie J xx
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 04:17 PM

Sorry to hear your news. Not a very good year for you.

Thankfully I've had no experience with hip replacements but I hope it won't be too long before you are on the mend.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 05:26 PM

Hi Cate ... just do as you have been told ... don't overdo it ... follow the exercise routine, etc and everything will be fine - as UJ says it takes about three months for full recovery but don't be impatient

I had both my hips replaced five years ago and can now dance better than ever

Hugs to you and hubby. x
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 05:36 PM

I had my right hip replaced nearly two years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. Lots of rest, exercise as prescribed, get hold a grabbing tool thingy so you can pick things up off the floor (no bending!!!), take any pain meds and even more rest. It is uncomfortable for the first few months with many sleepless nights, but the outcome is amazing.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 05:41 PM

So sorry to hear you have been lumbered with this as well, Cate. Don't rush things, but do try a keep as mobile as you can. And let your husband pamper you too!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 06:13 PM

Hope you mend quickly Cate,and your Hubby is coping with his bad news,keep your chins up ..

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top