Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 06:56 PM

Re: Is There a Breakdown of Respect?

Yes there is a breakdown of respect , some would not know how to spell the word , there are no boundaries and no repercussions for being a law breaker or a thug . daughter is a teacher says there are children in her infants school who are already on the wrong paths unbelievable language and disrespect at such young ages , what will they become . These kids spoil it for the little ones who want to listen and learn .

I just dont know the answers anymore
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 07:10 PM

Three words compromise my answer to these problems:

1) – Discipline

2) – Zero
3) – Tolerance

All to be practised by parents, teachers and police.

This is how it was in my childhood days, nobody dared to show the level of disrespect we see today!

Reasonably recently, well a few years' ago, a police chief, I think it was Manchester, brought in zero tolerance and antisocial behaviour and crimes reduced. It's gone too far now, some parents don't bother and the police don't have the numbers to combat what is regularly happening in society, so what chance does the general public have?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 09:39 PM

Everything comes full circle, and one day(soon I hope) something will happen to make people wake up and see what's happened. Then common sense will return along with discipline, respect, and decency. The world can't go on as it is much longer, something will have to give.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
How can you have an opinion on children that you have never met?

I don't doubt that some children may fit your description, but there are plenty that don't!
I believe that Surfermom was questioning the breakdown in respect of everybody, not just children, and there are plenty of adults who frequently show little respect?
Easy. Just look around.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 09:54 PM

My Playground prepared me for what is around, I don't see it daily anymore, but it must be there, no reason why it shouldn't, maybe nothing has changed in half a century but, folks who saw nowt back then, are seeing it now?
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

1) – Discipline

2) – Zero
3) – Tolerance

This is how it was in my childhood days, nobody dared to show the level of disrespect we see today!

Reasonably recently, well a few years' ago, a police chief, I think it was Manchester, brought in zero tolerance and antisocial behaviour and crimes reduced. It's gone too far now, some parents don't bother and the police don't have the numbers to combat what is regularly happening in society, so what chance does the general public have?
Useless spell checkers, need to go back to school!

Should have read – Three words comprise my answer to these problems:
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Yesterday, my teacher friend was standing in front of her classroom when a student in the hall, age seven, told she was fat.

We had two police-related situations in which the person being pulled over refused to follow the instructions of the police officers (one was accidentally killed).

Last week, I read about two middle-aged store owner and a young man who got into a fist fight because the young man refused to wear a mask (he threw the first punch).

This week, I was on the highway and saw several incidents in which a trick signaled to pass, and a car in the other lane sped up to block the truck.

Is respect for others and the law waning or disappearing?
I was surprised to read this.

I had believed that any such misbehaviour in America would be clamped down on heavily.

It seems that you're becoming as lawless as we are.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

1) – Discipline
2) – Zero
3) – Tolerance

This sounds like the 'three strikes and you're out' bright idea that someone had.

I interpret that to indicate that you can commit a crime once and get away with it, go on to do it again and get away with it again and, if you do it again (and are unlucky to be caught) finally receive some sort of punishment.

Forget 'three strikes and you're out'. It should be 'one strike and you're out'.
Baz46

14-04-2021, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
This sounds like the 'three strikes and you're out' bright idea that someone had.

I interpret that to indicate that you can commit a crime once and get away with it, go on to do it again and get away with it again and, if you do it again (and are unlucky to be caught) finally receive some sort of punishment.

Forget 'three strikes and you're out'. It should be 'one strike and you're out'.
That is what it was, strict discipline with zero tolerance meaning nothing is tolerated, just as when I was growing up. There was no way anything wrong would be tolerated to allow it to happen a second time. That is how we were taught in those days, no whacks or beatings, your father's tone of voice was enough. If I had misbehaved in any way the words from my mother "just wait until your father gets home" meant what was said. Very fair though and the way my parents were with me in that way also taught me respect, I recall the saying used to be "respect for your elders", often added to that was "… and betters".

There was none of the disrespectful, appalling behaviour we see today, that simply would not have been tolerated in any way, which had the desired results.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I was surprised to read this.

I had believed that any such misbehaviour in America would be clamped down on heavily.

It seems that you're becoming as lawless as we are.
Aside from the driving (no one lets anyone in with signaling anymore, signaling now means, "I'm coming over" not, "May I come over), the events I describe are still somewhat unusual - but they are still happening much more often than they used to.

Unlike AT, I believe children should be respected on par with their development. Exposing children to things they are not developmentally able to handle can have repercussions later on. Frankly, if any lives should be respected - it's the young ones. Teaching them discipline and modeling good behavior certainly falls into the realm of respect.

When a child faces swift and certain discipline for calling a teacher, "fat" that's respecting the teacher and ultimately the child, as well. It's saying that for you need to get your act together NOW if you want to eventually want to be welcome in a civil adult world. Young parents would be well-advised to understand and support this.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top