Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 05:16 PM

Re: Wycliffe

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yes that was on here years ago. Even when it was new it seemed really stilted and slow. I like Jack Shepherd. He's done some good work. But that show was a real bore I agree. Her was dour and and miserable and his female detective character had no personality at all. So yes it was a loser.
I am surprised it made it all the way to Australia. Not one of our best programmes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
We enjoyed Wycliffe.
You have a cushion with your own face on it. Wycliffe must seem exciting.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I am surprised it made it all the way to Australia. Not one of our best programmes.
Actually, so am I. The British shows we get here are usually pretty good. But we've had a few duds from there sorry to say. As I am sure you've had a couple of ours. The ABC and SBS here get some fantastic shows from all over Europe, Scandinavia, the Americas and Asia as well as producing some great stuff here (With some exceptions). UK shows have a lot of competition but hold their own usually. But for sure that show really stood out as a total turkey. They all looked like they would have rather been having root canal treatment during a train wreck. Vera is another one that pretty much sucks from my point of view. Apart from the relentless grey drabness of the setting , the main character is such a miserable, unlikeable bully it just turns us off. Literally. One part that was over the top in term of scripting was where she bullied that black female detective to a point where if it was reality, she would have been charged with workplace abuse. Reality maybe but not appealing in a main character. I think even Brenda Blethyn said she couldn’t stand Vera. But this is about Wycliff. I digress. Thumbs up usually for UK shows. 😊
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:23 AM

I liked 'Wycliffe' the first time round - I still had a TV in those days. Not sure I would appreciate it so much now.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I liked 'Wycliffe' the first time round - I still had a TV in those days. Not sure I would appreciate it so much now.
So did I but it hasn't stood the test of time IMHO.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-04-2021, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Actually, so am I. The British shows we get here are usually pretty good. But we've had a few duds from there sorry to say. As I am sure you've had a couple of ours. The ABC and SBS here get some fantastic shows from all over Europe, Scandinavia, the Americas and Asia as well as producing some great stuff here (With some exceptions). UK shows have a lot of competition but hold their own usually. But for sure that show really stood out as a total turkey. They all looked like they would have rather been having root canal treatment during a train wreck. Vera is another one that pretty much sucks from my point of view. Apart from the relentless grey drabness of the setting , the main character is such a miserable, unlikeable bully it just turns us off. Literally. One part that was over the top in term of scripting was where she bullied that black female detective to a point where if it was reality, she would have been charged with workplace abuse. Reality maybe but not appealing in a main character. I think even Brenda Blethyn said she couldn’t stand Vera. But this is about Wycliff. I digress. Thumbs up usually for UK shows. 😊
I have always enjoyed the Australian films shown here. They seem to have a lot more depth than the vast majority of US films and the acting is normally pretty good. Of course, most of them started off in Home & Away or Neighbours but I wouldn't hold that against them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-04-2021, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
So did I but it hasn't stood the test of time IMHO.
I think it is his face that puts me off.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think it is his face that puts me off.
Not a lot he can do about that!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-04-2021, 07:50 PM

Not a lot he can do about that!

True!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top