Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:35 PM

The internet

As much as I really like techology and social platforms I also do wonder sometimes if the internet a good thing or bad thing,

The negatives I see
Young people are following trends of what they call fashion, fat lips, implants in their backsides, bigger boobs, smaller boobs, tattoos etc no one is happy with their god given looks because they want to look like some so called reality 'stars' . Social media and the media in general encourages young people to question their sexuality because it's out there all the time, no one seems to want to be what they were born to be. People are using filters on their phone camera to try show people they look different to how they really look. It's harmful for peoples mental health as there are so many nasty trolls out there which to me are dangerous people for the mental health of the young and vulnerable of whom believe what these pillocks are saying. It's harmful to society full stop. It allows, bullying, aggression, abuse and more and it's a platform for paedophiles. I've seen so much racial abuse on both sides, which is ugly to witness and causes so much tension. There are 'influencers' on social media and while some are good influencers there are many that are not so good. It's so toxic because it allows some people to spread disinformation and fake news. The conspiracy thoriest are out in their droves which is making people not know what to believe which in itself is dangerous because so many people are not taking the Covid 19 seriously, thankfully however, for the most part people are sensible. It's dangerous for identity theft, there are so many grooming gangs out there, scammers, the list goes on.

The positive things
I find Social media is good as it allows us to communicate and stay up to date with family and friends around the world. I personally have a very large family in America and I love how I can follow their life over there, therefore I don't feel quite so divided from them. We find new friends through a social network with other people who share similar interests or ambitions. We can join groups who are likeminded people and/or who share the same interests.

All in all it seems to me that the internet has more negatives than positives.

What are your thoughts on this and can you add anything to what I have said, I'd be interested to read your input.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:47 PM

Re: The internet

There are some negatives but over all I think it is a positive thing. Exploring the streets of New York on Google maps was a great help before going there for real. Planning the route for a long journey, it tells you how long, how many miles and can even work out your fuel consumption.

Then there is all the information that's out there which would have been impossible years ago or at least would have needed several trips to the library. Book reviews, film reviews, product reviews- all useful.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:47 PM

Lion Queen, thanks for sharing your viewpoint.

I think no matter the generation, the youth will follow the herd/trend/popular path to fit in. It just so happens that the trend is as you indicated above.

Regarding sexuality, I heard that the UK guys were threatened with loss of sight if they did ‘stuff’ considered inappropriate behaviour. Imagine if that were still the mindset today? There would be generations more men with a distorted view of sexuality and exploring same. Sexuality is a personal intimate aspect of one’s psychic.

I agree the internet allows one to connect else I think my life would be really very lonely
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
I heard that the UK guys were threatened with loss of sight if they did ‘stuff’ considered inappropriate behaviour. Imagine if that were still the mindset today? There would be generations more men with a distorted view of sexuality and exploring same.
That piece of information seems to have made a lasting impression on you, Minx. I don't know how prevalent the spreading of the going blind fallacy among children was, but you shouldn't assume that the kids took any notice.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
That piece of information seems to have made a lasting impression on you, Minx. I don't know how prevalent the spreading of the going blind fallacy among children was, but you shouldn't assume that the kids took any notice.
It's all a blur to me.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:57 PM

I enjoy the Internet as a whole, and have learned so much and "met" some lovely people, but if I were younger and grew up with the Internet, I think I would be a very mixed up kid!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-07-2021, 08:59 PM

There are some bad sides to it. The less obvious thing are those on social media who ask if the Chippy is open (Get up off your a*** and have a look) or does anyone have any free stuff I can ponce.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Lion Queen, thanks for sharing your viewpoint.

I think no matter the generation, the youth will follow the herd/trend/popular path to fit in. It just so happens that the trend is as you indicated above.

Regarding sexuality, I heard that the UK guys were threatened with loss of sight if they did ‘stuff’ considered inappropriate behaviour. Imagine if that were still the mindset today? There would be generations more men with a distorted view of sexuality and exploring same. Sexuality is a personal intimate aspect of one’s psychic.

I agree the internet allows one to connect else I think my life would be really very lonely
The bit about sexuality that makes me feel sad is that my 11 year old nieces best friend is confused and doesn't know if she should be lesbian or heterosexual, I had a discussion with her that made me feel so sad that she isn't allowed to be a child and has the added worry of trying to decide what sexuality she is. After all 11 is still a child, had it not been so 'out there' perhaps she could have been playing out with her friends innocently.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:01 PM

Oh my gosh...E-beggars! Always being skint and asking for money or stuff. That annoys me.

(@ LD, sorry)
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

24-07-2021, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I enjoy the Internet as a whole, and have learned so much and "met" some lovely people, but if I were younger and grew up with the Internet, I think I would be a very mixed up kid!
This is the part that gets me, kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top