Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 10:58 PM

Signing cheques

Does anyone know if there is a safe, legal way to sign cheques/pay bills for someone who is partially sighted, without having a Power of Attorney?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 11:16 PM

Re: Signing cheques

You could have a joint bank account ,
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 11:21 PM

yes, that's what my sister did with my mum
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 11:27 PM

Thankyou Eliza and Honey. How does that work? Does that affect my accounts too?
Perhaps I'd better call in her bank next week and see what they advise. The bloomin' solicitor wants hundreds of pounds to do P of A, so I wondered if there was any other way.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 11:31 PM

my sister went to Santander with mum as both need to sign and that was it, mum was almost blind so it was necessary so that my sister could do her shopping and check her statements, they were issued with 2 cards, sometimes I'd use one when taking mum out, it's really easy to apply Mups
and has nothing to do with your own accounts
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-06-2014, 11:37 PM

Thanks again Honey. I'll see how I get on. Only thing that might prove difficult is Mum is too frail to come to the bank with me, so that might create more problems.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 11:38 PM

My F.I.L. Had Parkinsons ,and could not sign or get about ,so his son had a joint account ,so he could pay bills and buy his shopping in ,a card was supplied as well .Made life easier for the short term but ,we decided P.O.A , might be a good thing ,cost over £600 ,we didnt need to use it as F.I.L. Died a year later and then it became invalid ,but the joint account meant F.i.l.bills were settled and funeral cost came out of it .This was what he had wanted.so we had no expenses ourselves.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

14-06-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks again Honey. I'll see how I get on. Only thing that might prove difficult is Mum is too frail to come to the bank with me, so that might create more problems.
Your mum dont need to go to the bank .
You can ask for a form fora joint account to be sent to your mother , as long as she is capable to sign it .
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

14-06-2014, 11:44 PM

I was about to say the same!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If you telephoned the bank and explained - they should do a 'home visit', Mups. A friend of mine did this when her mum was ill - she was with HSBC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top