Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 08:18 AM

wills

I am up early because today we have to amend our wills. One of our executors has been inconsiderate enough to pop off (n.b. black humour; no disrespect intended...) and a codicil needs adding. We should have waited till November, when the fee could have been donated to charity (what an excellent idea that is) but we are about to embark on our first trip abroad for quite a few years, and who knows what may happen - that's me, the eternal optimist. Not that there will be much for them to fight over, but still.

So we made our wills when the first offspring appeared, so we could specify who should be entrusted with her care in any sad event. We should, of course, have done it even sooner, because of the bureaucratic nightmare that ensues when you shuffle off this mortal coil intestate

So - two sorts of people perplex me, and I number friends in both camps.

1. Those who won't make one because it brings the chill breath on their neck closer and more real - I empathise, but think it's a bit selfish

2. Those like my stonkingly rich friend who lie awake at night worrying about which of their descendants they're going to disinherit next because they haven't told her lately that they love her (reminds me of a Victorian novel plot!) Wills can indeed break up families - none of my gran's six siblings spoke to her after their mother left her more than them because she'd looked after her.

So how do other people feel about this emotive issue?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Re: wills

It can be fraught with difficulties but in my case it's simple. Whoever goes first the other one gets the lot and when we've both gone the estate is divided equally between our three children..........simples.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 08:45 AM

Dealing with FILs will at the moment he didn't sign it so it's not even legal. Why would anyone do that is my question ? He had clear ideas who he wanted to get everything but the law says no because he didn't sign it !
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Dealing with FILs will at the moment he didn't sign it so it's not even legal. Why would anyone do that is my question ? He had clear ideas who he wanted to get everything but the law says no because he didn't sign it !
That's not even a proper Will so good for the law for safeguarding this.

A legal will has to be signed by your FIL and then signed by two other independent witnesses to be legal which would assume no pressure was exerted on him to make it.

Decent solicitor will do this for about £150
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 09:31 AM

I know the point I was making was why do it, the law seems fairer than what he wrote anyway. I like to see a wife supported which the law says should happen, same if a wife dies the husband should be supported IMO not someone the deceased has just met and tried to move into the home.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 10:31 AM

For the cost of making a will via a solicitor can save a lot of problems for those left behind. There seems to be a stigma around will making as if one is going to drop dead the next day.

Having made mine many years ago I know that those I wanted to inherit will do so without too much trouble. There is no way do I want the government to have any claims and grab the lot which happens if no will is made.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

29-10-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
For the cost of making a will via a solicitor can save a lot of problems for those left behind. There seems to be a stigma around will making as if one is going to drop dead the next day.

Having made mine many years ago I know that those I wanted to inherit will do so without too much trouble. There is no way do I want the government to have any claims and grab the lot which happens if no will is made.
Very rare that would happen partners and children and the like all get automatic right to an estate.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 11:26 AM

Julie it is only a spouse have a right to inherit or did, partners and children do not in law, nor anyone else.
They can contest the right but it is not automatically given.

The law is a funny thing, It is very precise and one should not assume anything. AS a benificiary and executer to my parents estate I spent a lot of time with the family solicitor , albeit many years ago now, it was explained to me in exact terms about wills and those who could inherit.

Ok things may have altered from then accepted but this is what I was led to understand then
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

29-10-2014, 01:41 PM

They do have a right in law recent changes mean once the estate is worth a certain amount if a person dies with no will the spouse and children are provided for.
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 03:24 PM

They're jolly blighters these lawyer chaps. Just as we were leaving, he reminded us that we should nominate a charity to benefit in the event of a tornado or some such carrying us all off when we are gathered together at Christmas...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top